Why isn't my Nanoleaf Matter Bulb syncing with my SmartThings station?

Hi everyone,

I’m Emmanuel Katto from Uganda, I’ve bought a SmartThings station to test a device we’re developing in our department. When trying to connect a Nanoleaf Matter Bulb that works with Thread, I encountered errors on two different smartphones. The first phone showed error 39-100, so I tried the SmartThings app on another phone, but then I got error 39-390. Can anyone explain what these errors mean and how I can fix them?

Regards
Emmanuel Katto Uganda

ST has shown to be picky with some Matter devices. Try commissioning the device with another controller and then generating a new QR code to be able to commission it to an additional controller.

Is this a nanoleaf essentials bulb? If so, see the existing discussion:

Also, just to be sure: is this the first matter device that you are trying to add to SmartThings? If so, skim the following checklist to make sure you have everything you need:

FAQ: What do I need to add a Matter device to the SmartThings app? Do I need a bridge router device?

But if you do have other matter devices already working with SmartThings, then, yeah, the nanoleaf essential devices have proven to be tricky to add. :thinking:

1 Like

Added two bulbs last week and it was as easy as it gets. Seconds after they were powered on, the pop-up appeared in ST, clicked okay, scanned the QR code, gave it a name and a room, done.

It took longer to screw them in than to add them in ST.

1 Like

Where in Uganda did you purchase your device, cause I would like to get my hands on certain devices but the shipping costs are a bit extenious @emmanuelkatto23

First thing you should do is to download the nanoleaf app, add the bulb to the app first, then update the firmware, and lastly add them to smartthings.

I now own about 10 of these bulbs and early versions of the firmware were notorious for being buggy and just overall difficult to have a good experience with.

To their credit nano leaf has consitantly updated these and with the most recent update their connection and reliability is much more stable.

3 Likes