Why Did My Integration/SmartApp Stop Working in January 2023?

5 posts were split to a new topic: Custom Monitoring After Groovy?

4 posts were split to a new topic: GoControl GD001Z Garage Control Edge Driver?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Gentle Wakeup Replacement?

5 posts were split to a new topic: Custom Monitors in SmartThings Home Monitor No Longer Supported?

It’s been a good ride but now a good reason to move over to something like Home Assistant or OpenHab.
With the lack of ability to make basic HTTP requests to trigger Alexa announcements or more complex routines, I can’t see myself staying on this platform for much longer.
Support has been very unhelpful to add insult to injury.
RIP Smartthings and more importantly, WebCore.

2 Likes

Does this help ?

1 Like

You can still do this, but you have to do it in a completely different way.

As @fido mentioned, there is now a category of edge drivers that the community is calling “edge services” that allow you to reach server devices on your own LAN so you can use all kinds of integrations, and even use some we didn’t have before (like reaching an MQTT broker locally). But many will require running a 24/7 server device on your own Network, like a raspberry pi or a laptop. So not for everyone, but quite a few people are using these successfully.

To find the existing ones, see the “edge services“ list in the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Browse_Lists_for_Edge_Drivers

As far as more complex rules, there are several options for those depending on exactly what you’re trying to do. As noted in the first post of this thread, start with the following topic, and you’ll see discussion of the webcore alternatives:

Replace Groovy with Automations—what’s your plan?

If there’s a specific piston that you are trying to re-create in the new architecture, you can start a thread in the following section of the forum and hopefully someone will be able to help you:

You may still decide you’d rather go to a different platform— different things will work for different people. But there are probably more alternatives in the new smartthings architecture Than it looks like at first glance. After all, Webcore itself was an unofficial community project, and not mentioned anywhere in the smartthings app. So some research was required to find that one as well. :thinking:

A post was split to a new topic: Need help with REST API

Did anything speed up? Let me answer that for you, NO!

I have an automation that was disabled that, somehow since the change, has enabled itself… but I can no longer edit or delete it. I get this error:

Any ideas on how to at least disable it?

In all fairness, this end of Groovy was only announced in the circles of the online community.
I for one was unaware that a community even existed for these purposes until suddenly I couldn’t update the code in Groovy.

It’s not a safe assumption that all these people are part of the online community, reading these news.

IMHO they have NOT been announcing it for a year.
There are people who have been aware of this for a year, but to reach all relevant parties they should’ve announced it in the Groovy IDE, and in the android app, or wherever else developers or users could see it, and they should’ve announced it so that at least 80% of the users of the technology could somehow catch it.

I like the changes, and it’s nice to have a platform with high integrability.
Would I have liked to feel like I have to run a marathon for close to 2 months just to restore the automation I had running, set up a new environment, drop other priorities etc? No.
I hope someone there will execute a more communicable process, should there be another fundamental change in the future.

2 Likes

2 Likes

This is a very good idea, although again I do think there are some people who installed Groovy code as part of the initial install process for a device using instructions they got from a third party, and they may have never touched the IDE since.

And there are some affected third party integrations like IFTTT where even that wasn’t necessary.

I know there were some emails that went out to all registered accounts, and since you had to register an account to set up a smartthings account, theoretically that should have reached almost all users. (There could be some people whose systems were set up by someone else.)

But I still think there should have been a specific list of the devices and smartapps that would be affected for each account sent in advance to each account. Samsung certainly had that information even if it would require some programming to generate the emails.

Not “accounts may be affected” but “your account will be affected because you are currently using the following which will be shut down during this process.” At least for the smartapps.

For the custom DTHs, they could word it differently, using “may,” but it should still be specific.

JMHO, of course.

2 Likes

Yes, where was that posted?
Guaranteed I wasn’t aware of this post.

Probably most people not active in the community online were unaware of it.
Which is exactly my point above.

Smartthings App, Menu, Notices.

1 Like

Then not visible enough, I’m using the app everyday and have been since 2-3 years ago. Never saw any such notice.

I think it really depends on the goal, if your goal is to cover your behind, then you’ve covered it. If your goal is to make your community happy, you’ll think about what’s impactful and what makes a difference.

3 Likes

Yes, there was a notice in the app, but Samsung abuses those notes to spam us with all kinds of irrelevant junk. I have been trained to ignore the flag showing that I have notices because 99% of the time there is no useful information.

I have a lot of sympathy for folks who were caught unaware when all Groovy Smart Apps were shutdown.

Samsung has in their servers an exact list of every device that every user of the SmartThings app has connected along with the DTH in use plus every Smart App in use. And an email address to reach everyone. As a former software developer I won’t minimize the effort it would have taken to generate a mass emailing that included a user-specific list of probable at-risk devices and apps. But it certainly seems to me it would have been possible. And it would have greatly reduced the ill will that has been generated.

Edit: I obviously didn’t read @JDRoberts last post before writing this. If I had, I would have just said: “Yes! What he said!”

3 Likes