Who wants an Arduino ThingShield?

Sounds like there is a market for an alternative manufacturer… Though it would be wise to use a design that is compatible with multiple platforms.

The Thing Shield isn’t magic, but it is tailored for use with SmartThings (especially the join procedure and custom ZigBee methods available to use in your Device Handlers), and forgoes complex ZigBee clusters for simple string messages.

If you don’t need mesh, then a wifi version should be possible to create, compatible with any MCU + wifi!

Ideas?

@mager any update on availability? Have some summer projects in the waiting!

Your best bet is to put your email on this page: http://goo.gl/forms/vMt9PVWIhJ

The moment they are available, I’m gonna email you guys.

Sorry for the delay!

Ordered. They are back in stock

They are back in stock: https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/smartthings-shield-arduino

We’re working with the manufacturer to make sure they don’t go out of stock again.

1 Like

These are out of stock.

I am wanting to buy a couple. Any ideas when they will be back in stock?

When will they be released for the European market. Live in Ireland .

When will they be released for the European market. I live in Ireland.

Hi Andrew -

Do you know when the ThingShield might be back in stock?

-jonathan

This thread was started over 18 months ago, and mager is no longer working at SmartThings.

@slagle or @Aaron might be able to find out, they are current staff members. :sunglasses:

ah ok. I’m relatively new to ST and am into making and am looking for a way to merge the 2. I knew this was an old thread, but it was the one I thought was most relevant.
I’m looking at other potential options too… like IFTTT integration, etc. I just wanted to know what my options might be and this shield looked like a good one.

1 Like

The shield is great for maker projects. There’s a lot of very cool stuff with it. It’s just often out of stock. :disappointed_relieved:

You might enjoy looking at some of the project reports that people have posted. There are quick browse lists in the community – created wiki organized by subject. In particular check out the “impress your friends” list for projects on everything from a secret bookcase room to a magic wand. :sunglasses:

There are also project reports on many purely practical solutions as well.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

@jmnewton the Thing Shield was in stock earlier this week so they are fresh out. I would suggest emailing support to see when they anticipate more stock.

1 Like

I asked when they would be back in stock and was told keep checking back, they’re trying to get more made.

It really should not be this hard to keep a popular item in stock.
Either Adafruit or Sparkfun would love to make them for you.
No point in SmartThings making a nitch item like this; let the Arduino community do it for you.

1 Like

@rmm200 the ThingShield is dead:
Announcing the "ST_Anything" Arduino/ThingShield Project

Thank you for the reply! It would have taken me a long time to find that link.
Nothing about this makes me very confident in buying more SmartThings devices.
Zigbee and Z-Wave will be around long term - I am just not too sure about SmartThings.
Guess I will just have to see what this next year brings. I really like the IDE, interface with GitHub, simulator, libraries and documentation.

I want 10 as soon as they are available

See my post above. The Thing Shield has been discontinued. There are other options like a wifi or Ethernet board instead.

Hi All…

It’s me again… like a broken record …( Old School )

If anyone has an Arduino ThingShield available for sale, please let me know
still looking for a couple units.

Thanks again

Ben