Who makes the BEST Z-Wave dimmer? (Leviton, GE, Linear, Cooper)

I should be clear: The GE dimmers aren’t bad, they just have less features than higher-end dimmers. If you are happy with them, you don’t need to spend twice as much for the Coopers.

My problem is that all of the LED bulbs in my house won’t turn on with less than 10% power, however, they can be dimmed less than 10% after they have already been turned on. This means, if someone dims the lights to the lowest level and then turns off the switch — the GE dimmer won’t turn on the lights the next time the switch is pressed (unless you hold it). This confused guests and enraged my parents everyday. I was yelled at numerous times for installing “broken” dimmers.

The Cooper and Leviton dimmers have a feature that “kicks” on LED bulbs at low power levels by jumping to 10% and then back down. They also have brightness indicators, discrete dimming buttons, and two-way Z-Wave communication. However, if you don’t need those features, the GE dimmers are just fine. Some people may even prefer the GE dimmers because they look more traditional.

1 Like