Which Residential Security Systems Would You Prefer?

Hello,
I’m looking for residential security systems. I’ve looked into the following security systems:

1. Vivint
  2. ADT
  3. Frontpoint
  4. Alarm-i
    I want a secure, resilient, customizable and cost-effective system, as well as excellent technical support from the provider. Tech support is essential to guarantee that everything is up and running quickly after an alarm is detected.
    Vivint seems to be the best overall and diverse in terms of the devices it supports. However, I’ve known that other systems, such as ADT, are more reliable and have improved over the years. Frontpoint seems to have a good reputation, but it may be a bit too expensive for my market.
    Alarm Eye caught my attention because it offers a Video alarm verification, which helps reduce the average police response time. However, is Alarm Eye reliable enough to put into our home?
    It would be helpful to gather from people who have installed these home security systems and have a realistic understanding of each system and its pros and cons.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

I’m using Frontpoint and so far, (after 5 years), am quite satisfied with them.

Brian

2 Likes

This forum is for people using the Samsung SmartThings ™ home automation system. Consequently all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context.

So while your post looks something like a promotion for one particular system , in this forum, we would need to discuss How it could be made to work with the Samsung SmartThings system, if at all. :sunglasses:

People here usually create a partial integration to a security system in one of four ways:

Through an Ifttt channel
Through Konnected.io
Through Amazon Echo routines
Through Homebridge

If the security system has an open API, that can also be used, but hardly any security systems have since that would create a vulnerability.

With that in mind, probably the most popular current security systems for members of this community are:

Abode
Ring
Simplisafe
Or any DSC type system with wired sensors that can be integrated through Konnected

Abode was the first UL listed system In the US that provided video verification, and it has a decent Ifttt channel. It also now has HomeKit integration. We have quite a few members who have used it over the years. Since you are interested in video verification, it should definitely be on your candidate list, and for this forum it provides much better Samsung SmartThings integration than the one that you mentioned.

(Also, ADT is complicated for Samsung SmartThings users. There used to be an official integration between the two companies which has its own model hub and sensors. You can still find information about that on the SmartThings site. however, ADT went on to purchase a competitor company, now called ADT blue, and support for the integrated Samsung smartthings system has fallen off and it has become very difficult to find the sensors for purchase. So it looks like that model is now in an end of life stage.)

Anyway, again if you’re interested in video verification, I would definitely look at Abode, and even more so for people in this community since it provides much better Samsung SmartThings integration Than the ones you listed, although still limited.

Ring and Simplisafe don’t have video verification but Ring, of course, does have a good camera integration if you’re interested in that.

And discussion of possible smartthings integrations:

Ring Alarm released! (Integration project in post 13)

And the discussion thread:

SimpliSafe Alarm Integration (cloud to cloud)

And again, there are some additional options when using homebridge or echo routines so that should also be taken into account when evaluating candidates.

I recently tested the latest Ring Alarm kit. It’s quite good.

1 Like

Yes, we’ve been using that as a secondary system and are quite pleased with it. We use Amazon routines to include the sensor alerts with other systems. and the monitoring price is excellent. It doesn’t have video verification, though.

1 Like

@JDRoberts Is there much value in SHM/STHM as a self-monitored system? Do you know of anyone using it?

I’m getting a bit weary of monitored systems, recognizing that by the time police arrive, perps are long gone and I’m basically in the same place as I would have been keeping an eye on things myself. For me, the main benefit is the insurance discount.

There are certainly people using it, but I personally would never recommend it because it is so cloud dependent.

If the smartthings cloud is not available (which historically has happened at least twice a month every month for the last few years, although sometimes only for a couple of minutes), then you can’t do any of the following:

1. arm or disarm the system

2. change the location.mode to away or home

3. Use the app for anything. (seriously, it has to go through the SmartThings cloud even if the phone and the hub are on the same local Wi-Fi network. They didn’t have to design it that way, but they did.)

4. and you won’t get any notifications, including push notifications, until connection to the cloud is restored.

Given the number of excellent purpose-built security systems now available in the same price range for self monitoring, Including Ring, Abode, and Simplisafe, SmartThings just can’t measure up to the competition in The security category.

None of the other systems are perfect, each has pluses and minuses and the features do vary, but they are all UL listed security systems and reasonable for the price. And definitely you can arm and disarm them locally, at least with a keychain device. :rotating_light::scream: The fact that you can’t do that with smartthings tells you pretty much everything you need to know about what it was designed for. :wink:

Some of these allow you to turn professional monitoring on and off for a week or a month at a time which is also a nice option like if you’re going on vacation.

1 Like

Ahh, yes, the local processing issue. Thank you for pointing that out.

1 Like