Which developer guide should I use?

This one? https://docs.smartthings.com
Or this one? https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/develop/index.html

Why are there two different ones?

SmartThings is in the process of migrating their developer and cloud platform. The first link is the old one, that still works for now. The second is the new one that is still being developed.

1 Like

So I guess for any new development, probably best to stick to the second one? Does it matter if the user is using the SmartThings Classic app vs the new one and are there any restrictions to what you can do with either one, or is it just a different model supporting mostly the same functionality under a different hood?

Yes it matters, yes there are restrictions, yes it’s a convoluted mess. Yes they should have found a better way to do it.

That said. It really depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. In the community our general guidance to anyone using custom automations has been to stick with Classic until what you want is supported in New. SOOOO it has the side effect of having most of us still in Classic or mostly in Classic for the forseeable future. You CAN use the same Samsung Account login to a single hub/location in both New and Classic - IF the account has been migrated, BUT not all of us have been migrated.

Some of the classic apps seem to run OK in the new app with minor modifications.

So if you’re looking to deploy something where the older power users are - most of us use Classic. If you’re looking to build something for a new experience in the new app then - use the new APIs and documentation.

So far the best example I have seen of apps that run (with limitations) in both places are @RBoy 's lock manager and @bangali s Rooms Manager. There are issues running both in new (pretty much anything dealing with a custom device handler) but the smartapps themselves seem to work ok. In both cases, they use the old Groovy style app and I think RBoy is making some minor changes so thier stuff works in new. I don’t think Bangali is making any changes.

You may want to ask them if they’ve done anything special in this arena…

2 Likes

not yet. :slight_smile:

waiting on the new to stabilize both app and API wise before making changes.

Sounds like a journey fraught with perils, how exciting! lol Right now, I like the model that SharpTools and and ActionTiles use, using a web app as the UI instead of the SmartThings app. That’s the way I’d go, except for an entirely different type of app, so that’s my use case. I’d like to avoid requiring the user to go into the SmartThings IDE, copying groovy code, which those two apps successfully do (using oAuth). I assumed that might be what the Web Services SmartApp stuff was for, and then I ran into this new documentation and wasn’t sure anymore.

2 Likes