Which alarm systems work best with Smartthings?

I currently have the Qolsys IQ panel 2 with Link Interactive and an Alarm.com account. I have the Alarm.com smartapp but I’m looking for an alarm system that integrates the alarm security sensors with smartthings. ie, when the alarm is disarmed by my wife the thermostat adjusts and a lamp turns on, when the front door is opened (alarm door sensor) the kitchen light turns on.

What are the best alarm systems that integrates with smartthings so that I can utilize the alarm sensors?

Thanks!

Sorry, I’m confused. Do you want to

1. use your existing sensors with your existing panel, but just add integration to smartthings for home automation?

2. or do you want to reuse your existing sensors but get rid of your existing panel?

If you just want to reuse your existing sensors, then take a look at Konnected.

[RELEASE] Konnected Security 2.0 - Connect Wired Alarm System Sensors and Siren to SmartThings - big update and new name!

1. Or do you want to get a whole new replacement system With new sensors?

If you want to get a replacement system and you are in the US, the best choice is probably to get the SmartThings/ADT security panel model hub. If you follow any of the links on the SmartThings site to “security“ they will take you to that model.

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t very clear. Basically option 1 from your post would be preferred but I don’t think it’s possible with my setup (Qolsys IQ panel 2 & Alarm.com).

With regards to option 2 (preferred over option 3): My sensors are all wireless though so I don’t think Konnected will work.

With option 3, I’d like to keep my current sensors if possible. This is the least desirable but maybe the only way to accomplish using wireless security sensors with Smartthings

Thanks!

You can get a very basic integration by having alarm.com send an email to a Gmail account and have IFTTT monitor that gmail account and then turn on a virtual switch in SmartThings. It’s not much, but it does let you trigger smartthings actions based on the security system being armed or disarmed. You don’t get any integration going back the other way, though – – there’s no way to have SmartThings initiate a change in the alarm system. So don’t know if that’s enough or not.

1 Like

You should also talk to the people in the following thread, as some of them have used a limited integration. But only for Z wave devices.

1 Like

I’m in a similar, but different situation. I have a SmartThings hub with about 60 different sensors and devices hooked up to it. I also have a FrontPoint alarm system that I would like to ditch.
Im trying to figure out what the best option is for a home alarm system that uses all my existing sensors devices. I thought the ADT hub may be the answer, but it’s not since it can only use new dual logo sensors for the alarm system.
Anyone have any inputs?

I’d sure like to hear an answer to this as well.

I’d like to know if anyone has figured out what the actual communication is between the alarm panel and the monitoring company. If we knew that, we could easily make an RPi communicate the same information, thus allowing ANY 3rd party monitoring company to monitor your system.

I wonder what the hooks Scout had into Smartthings to alert THEM for the monitoring. Since I have next to zero experience with panel alarm systems I don’t know what comms they had going between the alarm and say AlarmNet.