Whether the SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor POLL its father?

Hi there
i have a question about SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor 。

do it  poll  its  father sometimes ? 

or just sending the open/close  report for its father  and its father  does  not  know  it  was  on network or not

Hey @seven,

If i understand the question correctly, you are asking if the hub will poll the device from time to time to get the state?

If thats what you are asking, then no. It doesn’t poll the device. The device sends the info the hub when something changes. So if the battery state changes it will send that to the hub. Or when the contact sensor state changes it will inform the hub of that change, etc…

The reason it doesn’t poll is the device would have significantly lower battery life if that was the case.

You can manually refresh the device though through the app or in a smartapp using the refresh() method. Be careful though because too much of this can cause battery life issues.

Hope this helps. :smile:

2 Likes

I’m assuming that in this context “father” means “parent” and “parent” means “controller” and “controller” means “SmartThings Hub.”

If that’s correct, then the answer is no. This is a zigbee device operating on a zigbee mesh network. The hub can occasionally poll the end devices, like the open/close sensor. But by design the hub doesn’t worry if any individual device is offline for awhile. It might just be changing batteries. So the network will route around any missing device until it comes back online.

The end devices, like the sensor, do not poll the hub.

Mesh sensors sleep most of the time to save battery life. They wake up every few minutes and check to see if anything has happened. If nothing has happened, they go back to sleep. If something has happened, they send a report to the hub and then go back to sleep.

If you need continuous monitoring, or monitoring every few seconds, you will be better off using WiFi or hardwired devices in a star or tree network instead of mesh.

This is why mesh networks are not used for medical monitoring where every second counts.

It is possible to configure zigbee devices in a star network, but that is not how they are usually used in home automation and it is not how SmartThings operates.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

1 Like