Where is the live logging feature hidden?

Hubitat Elevation, Home Assistant, etc…. To name a few.

Why are you surprised? The deprecation was announced a couple years ago.

You could try Wink . . .

2 Likes

I bought Smartthings to be in control of custom apps and have the ability to create one myself if i’d want to. The integration of other radios helps massively!

Now i bought it before samsung made it horrible.

Now i have to go on the research route again to find a solution that can do my milight lights + integrate with google home. While this is possible with Home Assistant, it’s a huge hassle to get it working… And that is even without the hassle of usb dongles for other radios (zigbee most notable).

Hence a “programmable hub” with integration in Google home out of the box was the most convenient and easiest way.

Yep, I agree. Replicating some of my SmartApps with Routines has been challenging. Doable, but challenging, especially since there are also limits on how many you can have (automations, devices, etc.).

I’ll likely stay with ST for several reasons, but I will miss the convenience of quickly developing SmartApps.

1 Like

I’ll only keep the smartthings crap because another samsung device requires it to be configured in my house. Other then that i have no need for it anymore. Or rather, they killed my only other immediate need for it.

1 Like

The MiLight integration probably stopped working because it was using a groovy smartapp as a service manager. That hosting was turned off this week. So logging wouldn’t have helped anyway. :thinking:

See:

Why Did My Integration/SmartApp Stop Working in January 2023?

If MiLight eventually adds Matter support you might get future integration that way, but no promises.

they have raised the limits with Automations in the Fall so those are better than the original limits they had in place or are you referring to some other limits with them?

SmartThings was always cloud-based, hence our vulnerability when the company decides to change the cloud services. :disappointed_relieved:

For what you’re describing, your best bet will probably be hubitat or Homeseer, with Hubitat being the more familiar development environment. But with either you are insulated from corporate changes if you choose to keep what you had. Home Assistant is always possible as well, but is more work to run. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Nope, it’s them. I just didn’t have the limits handy.

It’s up to 1,000 for automations, but I believe still 200 for devices. :thinking:

1 Like

Yup, and I can certainly confirm the device limit…

1 Like

Wait??!?? Is that 200 zwave, 200zigbee, or 200 combined?

200 total of all devices regardless of protocol including virtual devices, per location (not per hub). It appears to mostly be a UI limit imposed by the app as it also affects users who do not have a hub.

The limit has been in place for about two years, but is enforced differently in different places so it’s kind of weird.

There is also a max of 50 edge drivers per hub.

OK, I misunderstood from days gone past. I thought it was 200 per protocol. I know I was barely over 200 before the migration I think I am at 180 something currently. Good to know.

2 Likes

Correct, and anything over than that causes your hub to disconnect/reconnect due to hub resource issues. How do I know? I have an open incident on that. Hub events also show this issue, but not in a lot of detail but you can see a pattern:

I can’t go into a lot of detail, but it’s directly related to me being over 250 devices, and that’s already down from a whole lot more…

1 Like

Look another thread of someone being upset even with 2 years of warning that this was going to happen.

1 Like

Live logging can be done with the ST CLI using the logcat option.

2 Likes

I have spoken with a number of people who installed a device a couple of years ago, or a service like Life360, following the directions given to them at that time, and they have no idea that are using custom code. Or that it’s written in groovy. Everything‘s worked fine since then, now it stopped working. They thought the various announcements apply to people who were programmers.

The communications on this transition have never been really clear, even for the people who are programmers, so I would just give people a break on this.

For that matter, some things still aren’t detailed. I’ve been asking myself through official channels for over 18 months about what will happen with virtual switches for people who don’t have a hub, and specifically for virtual switches that can trigger Alexa, and at this point the only official acknowledgment is that they are looking at the issue.

So again, let’s help people where we can, be understanding where we can’t, and wish everybody well no matter what direction they’re going in. Different things work for different people, and different people have very different levels of understanding about the architecture of the platform.

7 Likes

I was already using the - far superior - ESP8266 MiLight hub project. Though i don’t think either MiLight itself of that third party hub would integrate Matter support.

Then again, they don’t need to. Would be nice, but not required. They are just hubs to access the ligths in a MiLight network. The tool communicating with that hub - SmartThings in my case - is the one that needs to support matter.

Best case is obviously them implementing it but that’s very unlikely to happen.

1 Like

That’s exactly the reason I bought into SmartThings.

It’s also the reason I moved from SmartThings to Hubitat. Hubitat has a Groovy API for apps and device types that is compatible with the one SmartThings just turned off. E.g., all your existing SmartThings code probably still works on a Hubitat hub. There are probably updated versions available already (Echo Speaks, webCoRE, etc).

Which brings up the other massive advantage that have: all that Groovy code runs locally on the hub. There’s no cloud induced lag, cloud induced outages, or the company forcing you to upgrade to something that turns off features.

4 Likes