Where do [... isComponent:true] child devices show up in the new iOS app?

I’ve been able to create child devices in my DTH, and, if I create them with [… isComponent:false], they get created as distinct devices in the Things view. However, if I create them with [… isComponent:true], I was led to believe that this indicates that the child devices are sub-parts of the parent and will be presented in the detail view of the parent, but I never see them created there. Is there another step I’m missing to make them show up in the detail view?

That’s true they do show up in the same device detailView but you’ll need to write a custom configuration VID for the device where you’ll have to reference the child device by the component name as defined in the DTH while creating the child devices. In some cases the default VID may show all child component devices but it’s not a guarantee (like a button does)

It’s easier to make child devices show as separate devices

So, do I need a custom VID even if the child devices are standard things like basic binary switches? You can’t even use something like “oic.d.switch”?

You need a custom vid if you want them to show as one device
You don’t need a custom vid if you are ok with them not being components and instead separate devices.

Is this something that can be done without going through the new registered developer vetting process (which, as an individual, I doubt I’d get approved for)? Maybe self-hosting?

If so, are there any tutorials that clearly lay out the process to dev/test/deploy a custom VID locally?

You don’t need to do anything other than download the CLI to make a custom vid

I think you also have to use mcdsync=true in the metdata. That’s what most of the official DTH use. Maybe @dckirker can clarify.