Where did Smart Apps go?

I can’t find my list of Smart Apps after the update.

Go to Automations on the bottom menu, then you will be able to see a SmartApps panel on the top.

1 Like

The Routines tab in the main view changed to Automations > that then has two sub-tabs, Routines and Smart Apps. That’s where you’ll find them.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s actually a much more logical place for it!

1 Like

It took me a few tries to find this. I really wish they would have a screen that tells you where they’ve moved things after an upgrade. I’ve seen other apps do that.

1 Like

From within the ST App, clicking the menu icon (far right 3 horizontal lines) normally brings up the window showing the Hub followed by the current Mode, whether the hub is online or off, Underneath this are usually 2 option. 1 - Notiofications and 2 Smartapps. The second option has disappeared both under the iOs or the Android version of the ST App. Support has been notified

This has caught a lot of people out, including me.
Click o Automations at the bottom of the screen.
There you will find a tab for SmartApps.

EDIT: @JDRoberts beat me to it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sigh…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

The number of people here asking where to find where installed SmartApps have moved to is getting beyond hilarious. :confounded:

I guess there were no usability studies? How about leaving the original menu option in place with a pop-up informing the user of the new location?

Why do engineers presume that the UIs they design are “intuitive”? :confused: … Or was this designed by a user experience “expert” who “knew it was intuitive”?

For our SmartTiles “V6” invited Beta Testers, we explicitly warned them that we weren’t going to give instructions on how to find or perform any tasks. We asked them to explore, and explore so more, and only then were allowed to ask and give feedback.

That’s the only way that we can (and are!) discovering a not-unexpected number of weak areas of our UI design. I’m happy they are there … but much happier that they are being discovered and feedback is helping us improve.

SmartTiles is a two person operation. What about SmartThings???

Think of the children…

No, seriously, think of all the “novice” smart home users who suddenly are facing this change in the SmartApp with no inclination to come onto the Community to ask this question. Are they (a) giving up, or (b) inundating Support for help?

2 Likes

I think one of the problems is that up until now the term “automations” has, I believe, been used only for SmartLighting. To now expand it to include not just other smartapps but routines as well is a significant terminology change.

This may have been a case where they changed the internal terminology a couple of months ago and therefore didn’t realize how new it would be to the customer community.

1 Like

Yup… I think it is a “good change”; all products evolve, including their UI’s, though some UI changes end up being a step backwards, I don’t think this is one of them.

But with hundreds of thousands of existing users, isn’t there some sort of universal concept of “don’t make your Customers feel lost”?

The hubris of assuming that wide spectrum usability testing is “not necessary” is a continuing concern. Can’t get this “smart” tiger to change his stripes, I guess.

Of course, I’d rather Samsung test their mobile phone battery systems :battery: :fire: if their pre-launch testing resources are limited. :grimacing:

1 Like

In a previous life I wrote ‘support’ documents for field engineers to use.
When they were written and before they were published, we would give then to engineers to follow. This would throw up issues that as a writer of the document, I assumed the engineers knew.
This was never the case as what I thought was the simplest document never was. I made assumptions. MISTAKE.
Why am I saying this I hear you ask. Because that is what ST have just done in moving apps under automations. To me it does make sense it is there though.

So, as has been said by too many people to mention, BETA test it with a small number of users and these issues will be eradicated.

When will you listen to the users of the product ST?

Hear hear!!! :clap: :thumbsup: +:100: … etc. You get it. (Just not too small of a number of users… :wink:)…

1 Like

I guess there were no usability studies? How about leaving the original menu option in place with a pop-up informing the user of the new location?

Why do engineers presume that the UIs they design are “intuitive”? :confused: … Or was this designed by a user experience “expert” who “knew it was intuitive”?

I am beyond frustrated with changes made that force us to use a new app without any options. I noticed that after the update yesterday, the Home screen defaults to Things NOT Rooms. When I reached out to support, I received a very dismissive reply:
“This is the normal default for the newest version of the app. This was changed due a large amount of users requesting this. I hope this helps clear things up. If you have any additional questions please let us know.”
I never got asked what I like? What LARGE AMOUNT OF USERS did they poll? How about giving us the option of which screen we would like it to default to?
SMH

1 Like

Providing options for default behaviors is always beneficial to users, but it doesn’t come without risks and implementation costs.

Our SmartTiles Beta Testers are asking for every option (and I can predict a dozens more) for each possible preference. Perhaps the “perfect” App could offer all this and still be affordable, supportable, and not too complex… but we certainly don’t have the resources to be that accommodating. If in doubt, we do try to make the choice that will benefit the most number of Customers.

It’s very educational to be on both sides of this challenge.

I am not expecting perfection but its not too much to ask to default to the last setting used or give the user an option. Especially since the option to organize by rooms has been part of the app since I can remember and i was a kickstarter backer. Why change something without giving the users an option? So now instead of finding things organized by room, I have to scroll thru an alphabetical list of 35 things just to find the one I need or get in the habit of switching back to the Rooms view first, every time I use the app.

1 Like

The really funny part of this… It’s not that difficult to find.

When I updated the app I saw it was gone. I closed the app thinking it was a glitch. Reopened and it was still gone. My next thought, where did it go? So, I looked around a bit and guess what, I found it.

Total time start to finish… Less than ten seconds. I am just trying to figure why the thought of asking here comes to mind before even trying to find it? ?

We know it’s not too hard, but we also know that we are far far far above the “average SmartThings Customer” (who has under 15 Things).

The success of SmartThings depends on them catering to the least technical consumers that may possibly use the product. The only possible path to profitability is mass mass mass scaling.

This type of unintentional slip up is not a huge problem on its own, but we know the pattern…

1 Like

You’d think they would make a little cartoon video that you’re forced to watch at the beginning… "what’s new in your app today! "…Just a short something to outline the changes…

1 Like

I fall into that category. It’s good to be average lol. I was able to locate the smart apps without asking the forum or customer service in just a few seconds also. I like the new location better.

1 Like