Where are all the V2 Excitement Posts?

Nope. I just removed all smartapps and put in only one timer smartapp. it will not run. It seems that almost all timers are having problems.

Before you read this, keep in mind Iā€™ve been very positive about ST since I first heard about it.
Itā€™s not always been smooth sailing but I genuinely liked the system and it was so useful that the occasional hiccup was not a big deal.

Sadly that has changed. Thereā€™s excitement alright. Unfortunately itā€™s not the good kind. I had plans to upgrade to hub 2.0 as soon as it became available. I missed the nifty little package deal that ST offered and Iā€™m glad I did.

After app 2.0 came out Iā€™m seriously reconsidering whether I even want to stay with Smartthings.

If youā€™ve already bought a hub, Iā€™d strongly encourage you to send it back and wait to see what happens.

Talk about raining on the parade with a misplaced post. Your negative post doesnā€™t belong on this thread! Many many people are having a very positive experience with the new mobile app. I find that it is a big improvement over the older version. Please, take your complaining to one of the many complaint threads.

5 Likes

@slagle or anyone, is this a simple fix to the SmartLights app? (the motion error. I have seen this myself). It seems to affect a lot of users, and itā€™s app level functionality. So Iā€™m thinking itā€™s low hanging fruit for SmartThings to fix? Or is it baked into firmware, requires a firmware update?

Usually people make recommendations based on own personal experiences. It is not fair to launch a negative campaign if you personally did not try the product. Itā€™s your opinion, I get it, but credibility tends to vanish when someone throws eggs at somebody they donā€™t even know. Just sayingā€¦I currently have about 100 devices and have upgraded from v1. I can tell you that the new hub may have a few quirks, but is a much needed step forward into the right direction. And I am still recommending it to all of my friendsā€¦

3 Likes

This reminds me of a review I recently read on Amazon.

A guy have an item 3 stars simply because the item was sold individually. He was not complaining about the item, but about the fact that he couldnā€™t buy it in bulk. He didnā€™t want to have to open each individual box. I guess he didnā€™t realize that if he would have bought it in bulk they would have been package individually and then packed inside another box, this giving him an extra box to open.

Basically your post tells me that you really just dislike change.

I came to ST from wink and even with the quirks and the app problems, overall my experience has been great.

I highly recommend anyone purchasing the v2 hub, either as a first step into ST or as an upgrade, read this forum thoroughly.

The experiences and resolutions you will learn here will make your experience much much better.

So, before complain anymore, how about being constructive and help resolve the issues.

But, if you just want something that works out of the box 100%, doesnā€™t have the flexibility of ST, our the support of a versatility knowledge base, Apple had come out with a wonderful product!

3 Likes

Was this fixed in the latest update, @slagle?

Wow! I just reread thisā€¦ I need an app that fixes my horrible grammar!
Or, I could just read it before posting it! Lol.
Stupid phone.

2 Likes

Funny I just posted how I do see an improvement over the V1 not missing messages like it used to and scheduled tasks not stopping every two days as previously the case. Now the pain of migrating to V2 is another storyā€¦

I agree that v2 will bring some much needed upgrades. My problem is that with ios2.0 I went from a system that worked to one that is unstable at best.

Both of these products were released way too soon. I donā€™t mind some tinkering with things and I understand that there will be some instabilities with new things. I am fine with that.

I just canā€™t recommend ST to anyone until they get their act together.

1 Like

I donā€™t like the new app because it barely works, and removed what I felt to be a very useful feature. I donā€™t like having to my devices rename themselves, and my icons disappearing. I especially donā€™t like my alarm refusing to change modes so that it goes off every time off my wife goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

If thatā€™s your definition of change, then youā€™re right, I donā€™t care for it.

I do like the added features, when they work.

Well I certainly understand thatā€¦ But are the problems youā€™re having actually being caused by ST, or could it be your configuration?

I do know that based upon this forum a lot of people are not having these issues. While there certainly some that are, it doesnā€™t seen to be the majority.

Honestly, before I made the leap Into ST I read just about everything in this forum. I seriously had my doubts about it, but I went ahead and jumped.

While I have had some issues I have found them to be more my fault than that of ST.

2 Likes

I was not a V1 user. I waited to jump in when the V2 was shipping, but I have been a long time lurker. I read about joy, I read about horrorā€¦ I decided it was worth taking the plunge.

I started with a few Hues and did some TOD automation, Added a ā€œFreeā€ Wink Hub and was generally satisfied as the Wink was mostly automated. I did notice when I interacted with the Hues via the Wink I would sometimes get a10 second delay, but again it was all I knew. Leviton light switch were several second to turn on the Kitchen lights, but again it was all I knew.

I unboxed my Smartthings Hub last week, powered it on, added to my account, pulled the tab a sensor. Now at this point I was expecting something to go wrong with the pairing, but instead was greeted with an almost instant ā€œwe found a Multisensorā€ and it then walked through configuring. It was easier than the Wink app. I went to my Things and was greeted with the immediate satisfaction of seeing the switch instantly opening and closing in the app like magic. The magic being it was not a 3-4 second delay in anything that was happening it was no delay to half second of so. I paired the rest of my boxed sensors, my Phillips Hue bridge, Sonos, and all my existing switches and lights in total over 30 ā€œthings.ā€

Two hours after I started I had all (save one thing) the functionality of the Wink replaced plus several new lighting automations that were not possible in Wink. The best part is nothing takes 10 seconds to operate anymore ā€¦ No, the best thing is the active community that is more supportive than confrontational. Executives are active in the community. Developers are active in the community.

9 Likes

Iā€™ll finally chime in here. Other than the delay in shipment from Amazon, my experience has been nothing but excellent. As a v2 hub (no v1 conversion) installation, adding things and smartapps was painless and it just keeps getting better.
Yea Iā€™d like the Icons for GE switches to be updated, and user accounts for my kids phones, but I can deal with it. It will get fixed. Iā€™d rather have the product that I have, running as is with a few bugs, vs waiting for that to get fixed and it never shipped.

The best part is it is smooth enough to have a high WAF. I have a smartapp for notifications when the Dryer is done, and she asked for the same thing for the washing machine, thatā€™s pretty good ā€œWife Acceptanceā€!

Amazon Echo integration, Smart Tiles for a great web interface, and a mobile app that I can navatige easy are all fantastic. At this point I just wish I had about another $500 to invest in ā€œThingsā€

3 Likes

On the flip side, there are plenty of things that havenā€™t been addressed in the year Iā€™ve been on ST (no native iPad app, user accounts) and plenty of recurring bugs with modes, sunset and presence so while Iā€™d love to have that confidence there hasnā€™t been a lot of evidence to support it. Thereā€™s a huge amount of potential here and I really want them to succeed but progress has been painfully slow.

On the other other handā€¦ Lots of excitement posts about the SmartThings/echo integration. Itā€™s very nice. Miles ahead of the competition. Miles ahead of what we had before. :sunglasses: So we knew the community does respond positively to dramatically new features.

It may just be that the openness and versatility of the SmartThings development platform meant that we previously had decent workarounds for most of the missing features that V2 ( App/hub combination) has now delivered. Theyā€™re still valuable, but on an everyday basis there may not be that much newness there once everything is set up. As opposed to echo where now, yeah, we have a lot of new stuff we didnā€™t have before.

So maybe once The Bluetooth antenna gets turned on, weā€™ll see the excitement posts just because there will suddenly be new things to do. Not just old things to do better. Weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

I am still wondering what the USB ports are forā€¦ :wink:

To charge your phone, to plug an ethernet switch, to plug the v2.1 epansion hub, to ā€¦need more?

1 Like

Let me try the USB e-cig charger! :wink:

My high hopes is that ST will eventually sell a Lutron ClearConnect RF USB-dongle antenna. Or a third party will make it??? This can be an interesting project.

1 Like