When will naming multi gang switches (in Edge Drivers) finally be fixed?

Exactly…this is fantastic

that’s exactly what @w35l3y old me

surely this is a big problem that many users are experiencing. We have a community here in Brazil and telegram groups that are all facing this problem

@RBoy described very well what it was like and what it is like with the drivers

Ok, I already found the report I previously made about that so, I’ll talk to the team to get their feedback.

2 Likes

Thanks!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

We appreciate you around here!

2 Likes

You summed it up very well.

Separate ZIGBEE child devices would solve 3 problems in one… individual commands (we wouldn’t need to access detail page of main device), individual custom names and recognition by other integrations (Alexa and Home Assistant as well)

I developed a workaround as proof of concept using LAN child devices.

1 Like

As is often the case, I take a slightly different view. I find components to be a far more elegant solution.

The problem isn’t the lack of child devices, it is the failure of the mobile apps to better expose components in the UI, and the failure of the Google and Alexa integrations to do anything at all with components.

2 Likes

I really like to have individual control over each child device.
All my switches have 3 buttons, sometimes I only need 1 for the room and I use the others to control curtain or air freshener, for example. And I just hide these buttons because I don’t intend to use them by the app ever.

2 Likes

@Brad_ST @nayelyz @w35l3y @orangebucket @RBoy @JDRoberts

just to illustrate the big problem with not being able to rename. See that it is impossible to use devices with edge driver in smart lighting. In my print I have several devices with 2 and 3 gang and they are listed like this in smart lighting and there is no way to know which one it is.

2 Likes

To be fair, since SmartLighting is part of the old architecture and will be going away when The transition to the new architecture is complete, I don’t really think there’s a requirement that edge Drivers (which are part of the new architecture) work with SmartLighting.

However, they do need to be able to work with third-party voice assistants and with routines in the new architecture.

Do you see the same issue if you try to create a routine in the app? or add the component to a scene?

this is the main problem

routine and scene works well.

1 Like

They work fine in routines. You pick the main switch and can control the sub-swiches.

Alexa and Google are a problem.

1 Like

exactly

a terrible problem

1 Like

In my opinion, child devices would be the perfect solution for this because the developer of the driver could define which component is external and should be exposed and which shouldn’t.

1 Like

Following the topic.

I agree. I will following this topic

Any news about it?

Despite this being raised many times, including via @nayelyz - SmartThings seem very quiet on the subject. I’m sure they’re very busy on many things, but it does concern me that they’re not hearing what many have to say about a backwards step in UI/UX.

Fingers crossed they are working on it.

1 Like

@lewisburgess

As a temporary workaround, you can create an alternative for child devices by using virtual devices. It is not particularly convenient, as you need 4 routines to control each gang, but it works fine

it doesn’t work fine :frowning: . Couple of times my switch went to infinite on/off loop. Which is extremely difficult to debug.