“When things quiet down” and “when things start happening” in new app?

Hi, any updates about this? I just moved from the Classic to the new one and this is a nightmare! Today for example the alarm triggered because the “things start happening” replication the app does didn’t work, so we opened the door for our dogs and it turns out everything was still on Night mode!
Any help is much appreciated!
Tks

I ended up moving most of my automation to webCore. I was hesitant to do this at first, but in my limited experience it really is the most comprehensive and stable way to trigger complex, or even semi-complex automations. It was intimidating to use at first, but I quickly realized how powerful it is to fix many of the shortcomings of the smartthings automations. Try it and you may have a similar experience as I had.

1 Like

Mode preconditions weren’t working for awhile. They are now, but you have to go into the automation, edit it, save, edit again how you want it and save again. My automations (including my good night and good morning “routines”) seem to be working now, but with all the flakiness, I wouldn’t be surprised if things go sideways again.

Couldn’t agree more. WebCoRE is the way to go for me or at least until SmartThings stops supporting it which would be a disaster for me.

80% of my rules are built from webCoRE Pistons and I have over 250 devices.

I have the same trouble - I relied on the “things started happening” and “things winding down” in the classic app to arm and disarm my system. I’ve tried the time/motion based suggestions just now. We’ll see if it works tonight! Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I’m going to take a stab at this.

I’m going to create a virtual switch named ‘Things Quiet Down’. Then I’m going to create a Smart Lighting Automation that turns On the Things Quiet Down virtual switch triggered from any or all of my motion sensors and then set it to turn Off the virtual switch after 15 minutes. I’m then going to create an Automation that if during the time window set, and the Things Quiet Down virtual switch is off, then enable the STHM.

I just tested it, and it seems that Smart Lighting will continue to reset the 15 minute countdown if the virtual switch is already on whenever motion is triggered from any of the motion sensors selected. Cool!

And, the Things Quiet Down virtual switch should also work for when Things Start Happening too. So, I changed the name for my virtual switch to ‘Things are Quiet’.

1 Like

It worked! Armed as planned last night (I fell asleep watching TV and when I woke at 11:30 it had armed the alarm. Turned off when I triggered a motion sensor this AM!

Ive made the mistake of migrating from the Classic app, where everything worked since I initially set it up in 2016. Now my routines/automations when I go to bed/wake up no longer work. I already tried recreating them from scratch, setting the precondition, and removing durations. The new app is definitely not ready to take over the Classic. I guess its time to make more pistons on webcore. I know I can program better than the team who made this garbage new app.

3 Likes

Very cool solution, well done sir.

Ya, but it doesn’t seem to trigger the Automation at the initial start of the time period since all the conditions are already met when the virtual switch Off already. Time period Automations in the new app are tricky to trigger, but I was hoping that using the stateless virtual switch might overcome that. It just seems time period logic in the new app isn’t doing what I need it to which is why I’ve just avoided using it.

In fact, I’ll bet if you were to change the Automation you posted above using the motion sensors delay from a time period to a specific time, it would probably work.

Anyway, I added another Automation that if the virtual switch is Off at the start time of the other Automation, then turn On the virtual switch and turn it Off 30 seconds or so later so that it will trigger the other Automation when things are already quiet.

If you would have posted this solution six months ago, I may have never tried webCore, so for that reason I’m happy I moved on from all this hackery :grin:.

1 Like

I hate the idea of having to create and use Virtual Switches for things you didn’t need them for in the Classic App.

I also rely on When things quite down and When things start happening. I also used Routines as Virtual Buttons that could trigger a big webCoRE Piston or be activated by Alexa.

I would need at least three (3) Virtual Switches for the same functionality in the New App which suxs considering that there is (was?) a 300 device limit and I’ve already deleted a bunch of stuff to keep below that barrier.

1 Like

Here is what I did in webCore to simulate “when things quiet down”.

1 Like

Here is a simpler version with all the audible & visual warnings removed so you can see how simple the coding is in webCore:

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve tried webcore a couple times but it never pans out before I get interrupted by … life. I’ll try again, using your structure as a guide. Thanks for both versions.

Color me dumb, but what is Switch 20? And and when you say “NIGHT MODE” you are changing location to Night? How does location=night cause the alarm to arm?

Putting my ignorance on display here.

Whenever I set up an automation, I use a virtual switch to provide me a way to stop the automation from happening, which can be helpful from time-to-time. In this case switch20 is that virtual switch (which is always off unless I want the automation to stop running). Switch20 is actually called Day/Night Disconnect.

As to your second question, this automation won’t arm/disarm the alarm. It simply puts the house into night mode. In your case, you can simply replace that part of the code with what you want it to do. Hope that helps.

After migration I ended up with a “Things quiet down everything off” automation that acts in an unexpected fashion.

In particular, it appears that within the specified time window, any motion activity will perform the former Everything Off despite all motion sensors being configured as no motion for 1 hour and all conditions must be met. This doesn’t make sense to me because new motion should fail on that precondition.

For example: 9:55pm some lights are on, 10pm rolls around and I get up creating motion, and then everything turns off. Am I missing something obvious?

Hi, are you using webcore? Would you mind posting the code.

1 Like

This is what I use and it works great. Even have a backup plan in case one or more of the motions are acting up or for some reason, the system missed arming.