When can be buy more Things?

(Dennis M ) #1

I really would prefer to buy more Things than purchasing other manufacturers products that don’t integrate in as well. As I am re-configuring my home from Vera to SmartThings hub, I realized that compatibility issues make it far more time consuming and frustrating.

When will be we able to buy more multi-sensors and motion detectors, etc…?

(Dan V) #2

Sometime after we get the android app :)…

It seems that this company, like many many other companies, has run into, what I call, the Kickstarter problem. They want to be successful and they are committed to the project. However, these companies are not ready for when the company actually succeeds. And SmartThings wasn’t ready for the wild success that they had either. Too many people actually wanted to see this company succeed and loved the product. And if “The Office” has taught us anything is that you need to use the varible cost model. (The more product you sell, the more it costs in staff to meet the demand.) As I’ve said, they just weren’t ready. It’s ok, I’m willing to give them some slack and I hope others do as well, but I hope they learned a lesson as well.

*End Rant

(Dennis M ) #3

I figured as much. It does seem like loss of revenue to not sell what IS working. And frankly their things are really solid. I like some of the other manufactures’ products like Leviton z-wave switches and GE outlets but I am surprised how sensitive and functional their motion sensor is in comparison to the other I have purchased in the past.

(Dan Lieberman) #4

@dm247, @lordkemo – This is something that we’re working very hard on and is a top priority for us. The answer is that we’re very close, and we’re expecting to launch a v1 store (mobile web first) in the coming weeks.

(Dennis M ) #5

Thank you @dlieberman . I look forward to spending more money with you!

(Dan V) #6

@Dan Lieberman

I’m sure you guys are working very hard… but how did you guys miss a July 1st deadline that you announced only a week ago? I think you guys need to switch to the agile method of development.

(Dan Lieberman) #7

@lordkemo – See our mobile app Product Manager Daniel’s post regarding the status of the Android app here: http://build.smartthings.com/forums/topic/android-app-status/page/7/#post-3529

That said, our engineering organization does employ agile methodologies in our development process. MVP, sprints, backlog management, daily standups, etc. Unfortunately, agile methodologies can’t prevent show-stopping bugs - even when taking the best of care, they happen. Daniel can speak to the issues far better than I can, but a couple of major bugs were uncovered in the QA process after the code freeze for the release candidate. Those bugs have been addressed, and there’s another period of QA testing that is that the app is going through so that the team can feel comfortable releasing it into the wild.

(Cory S) #8

Stick with it Dan. Having the store late will cause far less backlash then having a buggy store now.

(Dan Lieberman) #9

And as some folks have started to discover, the Android app is now in the Google Play Store:

(Apostlepd) #10

So when is this STORE supposed to go live? I am anxiously waiting to buy some more things!

(Pmsmaker) #11

Was to be by the end of this month.

(Solardave1) #12

I’ll put a smartthings sticker on a GE switch and sell it to you for 50 bucks if that helps.

(Apostlepd) #13

you guys are funny. i know all about the Zwave integration and I have looked at every single option on the “Compatible with SmartThings list” and searched all over eBay and Amazon for Zwave and Zigbee devices. The Aeon products are too expensive for my taste. I am hoping the SmartThings multi-sensors will be cheaper than the Aeon which is $50. Also I have two GE outlets in my house and the range on the outlets is NOT as good as the range on my SmartThings devices. My SmartThings devices are farther from my hub than the outlets and they have a better signal. In fact, one of my GE outlets was in my bedroom directly below a SmartThings motion sensor and the outlet kept losing connection to the hub while the motion sensor worked perfectly. So needless to say, I want to stick with SmartThings brand and I’m hoping the prices will be competitive, if not better than other retailers.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #14

I’m having good luck with a bunch of really check Z-Wave dimmer outlets I found on eBay.

Joining them to the network requires being close to the Hub, but once they are joined, then they are the mesh and range is really good.

Fact is, there are a lot more Z-Wave devices out there than SmartThings or ZigBee (for now…).

And, the advantage of Z-Wave is that if you become unhappy with SmartThings ecosystem (Hub, Cloud…), then you can switch to a Z-Wave hub/controller (Vera, GE, …).

Soon there will be lots of new HA systems (WigWag, Motes…), so that means lots of choices: But also a lot of competition and hopefully lower prices for end-point devices; and lots of work (paid?) to integrate these into ST.

(Aldaronde) #15

Any update on the launch of the Things store?

(Chrisb) #16

@apostlepd

Also I have two GE outlets in my house and the range on the outlets is NOT as good as the range on my SmartThings devices. My SmartThings devices are farther from my hub than the outlets and they have a better signal. In fact, one of my GE outlets was in my bedroom directly below a SmartThings motion sensor and the outlet kept losing connection to the hub while the motion sensor worked perfectly.

The SmartThings are ZigBee rather than z-wave. I believe that ZigBee had great range than z-wave. Having said that, don’t give up on your z-wave. Z-wave uses a mesh network which means that each device (that’s a repeater*) works to extend the network. So if your Hub is on one side of the house and your outlet is on the other… they might not be able to see each other, but if you another another outlet or switch between the hub and your outlet, then that device communicate with the outlet and the hub and “connect” them.

I have a “solidly” built house… poured concrete in the basement, thick gypsum board with 1/4 plaster on top of that for each side of every wall… basically stuff that isn’t conducive to signal strength. And I’m able to communicate from the den on the main floor thru the dinning room, thru the kitchen, thru to the basement, then over one more room to my “man cave/computer room” to a z-wave switch there no problem.

• Do note that not all Z-wave devices are repeaters. Generally most things that you connect directly into your house wiring will be repeaters through. The exception is switches that do NOT have a neutral line (such as the GE/Jasco 45612).

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #17

I’m using Z-Wave dimmer outlets I found super cheap on eBay.

They REALLY need to be close to the hub JUST to initially add them to the network.

But then, the mesh networking takes over, and I have one of these in the far backside of my house, outside, in a metal box, controlling the garden lighting system. No problems at all!

Mesh networking is great!

BTW: This is why I am VERY concerned about alternative networking protocols such as BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), which are in the “Motes” product. The range of these must be very limited. They are not plugged in, and, as far as I know, don’t have any mesh-networking or signal-repeating. There are workarounds (multiple hubs as repeaters?)…

In short, I’m grateful SmartThings works well with Z-Wave and presume that ZigBee mesh will also work well (though I’m hoping for expanded support of XBee too; and integration with LAN WiFi means that if you have a strong WiFi (technology always improving and ways to repeat signals, etc.) then IP devices will also be promising).