What's the wildest smart home gadget you've seen?

Here’s the most creative smart-ish thing I’ve seen.

(https://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Minder-Wink-Enabled-Smart/dp/B00GN92KQ4/ref=sr_1_25?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1489244025&sr=1-25&keywords=zigbee)

1 Like
4 Likes

Security drones that are launched to investigate and document intrusions.

Heck ya.

3 Likes

My favorite in this category is the Naran Prota Push microbot. As the company says, it’s a tiny robot finger. All it does is push a button on command. (Or pull one up if you stick Velcro on both parts.) but it’s a way of adding smarts to older devices without having to do any rewiring.

I have one on a small blender which has a button which is particularly hard to press for me (I’m quadriparetic) and another on the eject button on my very old DVD player, which didn’t have an automatic eject button at all.

They’re popular for people who have a fancy coffee maker that they just love that which needs a physical push to start.

They’re not cheap: about $240 for the starter set (bridge and three microbots), but they’re engineered well, have their own IFTTT service/channel, and solve a problem that can be very difficult to solve another Ways.

You might also take a look at the “impress your friends” project reports list in the community – created wiki. There’s a lot of very cool stuff there. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

2020 Update

Prota went out of business for a while and was then acquired by a different small company and is trying to get started again. But at the present time, I no longer recommend that particular brand. There is an alternative, switchbot, which has an official smartthings integration and can do most of the same things, although it’s not quite as well engineered. But much cheaper, and can be bought on Amazon in both the US and the UK. Here’s my review on them:

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve been making that argument to the boss for years. No go, still doing it by hand.

I was joking with a friend about asking Alexa to wipe my butt. Just curious which bidet do you have?I think I have to have this capability.

There’s a block of wood that you can connect to the internet now.

So yeah.

One thing I found in the Marketplace is a device called CoopBoss. It is no longer in production, since production was one man. What it did was open the chicken coop door at a certain time in the morning and close it at a certain time at night. I can’t remember if it used a motion sensor in case a straggler was outside the coop when the door closed, easy prey for the big bad wolf.

This would be interesting to play with: