What's the cheapest solution for thermostat and are they worth it?

As I was turning on my heating from my couch, I realized that I forgot to add that one little perk. My wife loves being able to adjust hearing and cooling without getting out of bed.

It could also be blue, and it looks like his blue wire is connected to the black slot.

I got lucky with my house. There was an extra C cable, but it wasn’t connected to the AC unit. Once I did that, my Honeywell worked perfectly.

@chowder007, if you can look up the model of your AC unit, you can hopefully get installation directions for it on the internet, which should tell you where a C would be connected. I’m guessing you’ll find the blue wire there, but you should check regardless. A misplaced C wire can fry your thermostat.

1 Like

If it has a Cwire it must be used correct?

Yes, it provides constant power to the thermostat, kinda like a smart switch needs a neutral. If either device is completely powered down, then the radio can’t send or receive information.

1 Like

FWIW the Zen thermostats do not require a c-wire. I have a few on battery and it seems like I’ll get about a year out of four AA’s.

Looking at your picture, your Blue is the C wire, I zoomed in and sure enough you have all the wires you need.

1 Like