What's a cheap zigbee repeater?

Here’s a teardown for the V2 with pictures.

Meanwhile, since this topic has popped up to the top again, as of this writing (February 2019) The IKEA Tradfri plug-in pocket socket, available in many different countries including the US and the UK, seems to be a good solid zigbee repeater which also works well with the Xioami sensors.

$9.99 in the US, £9.95 in the UK. This is just a basic on/off switch, no energy monitoring, but useful at this price. :sunglasses:

The Tradfri bulbs and this outlet work well with smartthings. The handheld buttons and remotes have only partial integration at this time.

UK Link:

US Link:

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/tradfri-wireless-control-outlet-30356169/

There were some initial bad reviews because people expected it to work with HomeKit, like the smart bulbs do, and it does not at this time. But judged just as a simple zigbee device, it seems fine.

I probably learned more about ZigBee from this thread than any other single source! Thank you all who have contributed!

Add me to the list of those who solved their ST device connection troubles with a simple 180 degree rotation of the hub! I was about to go down the path of adding repeaters for the back of the house and garage where my devices kept dropping connections. Even the previously unreliable three GE Wink bulbs that I was about to “round file” are working fine.

Thanks!

1 Like

The ikea plugs are only 8 quid with a family card. I’ve got loads of them. No power monitoring etc tho.