What would you switch to? (2019)

There are a number of threads on this. Different people come up with different answers, because they have different preferences and different reasons for not being happy here.

Every system has pluses and minuses, it’s just a matter of finding the one that works best for you.

For example, because I am dependent on home automation for much more than just convenience, I made the decision to put reliability at the top of my requirements list, specifically an MFOP (maintenance free operating period) Of at least six months and preferably 12. I needed something that was voice friendly and that had minimal set up requirements because I have to have other people do the set up.

Eventually I ended up moving all of my critical use cases to a combination of apple’s HomeKit and Amazon echo. It’s met my reliability requirements and I have been very happy with it. But I did have to give up the ability to support much more complex logic rules. Particularly stacked conditionals.

Other people really want those complex rules and are willing to put up with something that needs more hands on maintenance Than
I do. They might end up going to Insteon, or Home Assistant, or Hubitat.

Some people are happy just with the Google ecosystem, again depending on what it is they want to accomplish.

Those whose first priority is a quality security system but want some other home automation features might end up looking at Abode or Ring Alarm or LifeShield or even Xfinity Home.

And of course those who are able to spend more money will typically look at control 4. :wink:

The following is old but still largely applies except that both HomeKit and echo have added much more complex rule capability and a wider device set than they had when that was first written:

ST Alternative?

And here are some of the other threads on the topic:

https://community.smartthings.com/tags/alternative_hub

2 Likes