What is the most menacing message you can play through Sonos speakers for intruders?

Brown note? Google it. :smiley:

But the Mythbusters debunked that one, so it can’t be true :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I know, but it’s still an awesome myth. :smile:

I couldn’t help it and ordered a 5 too (waiting at BB for pick up). :slight_smile: The 1 goes to the bedroom. If missus screams murder, I am so going to blame you guys. The cyber friends in this community are corrupting me.

@ben Will get a second 1 too during the holidays!

And I am assuming that the 1 and 5 can be linked.

I’ve had a Sonos in the bedroom for years.

The very flexible built-in alarm functionality makes it an excellent alarm clock. During the week it awakens me with music from a playlist, then switches to a local radio station in time for the news.

On the weekend, it’s just music, but at a later time (I like my sleep-in).

All set up once and just left to run (the Sonos correctly handles DST transitions, too).

A Sonos CR-100 controller in its charging cradle on the bedside table has been my bedside clock for a long time, but that function has now been taken over by an Ubi - I can ask for the time without even rolling over :slight_smile:

Here’s another review from a Sonos 5 starter:

1. Pairing was extremely easy. Used Sonos controller to add since I had the Sonos 1.
  2. Sound quality (only sound in consideration) is way behind Bose SoundDock 10. Base is not that impressive.
  3. For some reason, feel like the 1’s have a better sound quality than the 5’s. Keep in mind I have not played with the equalizers. It may be the placement too.
  4. The sound volume and quality appears to be different when I play it thru ST versus when I use my iPhone/iPad (better in case of the latter).

Now, can somebody please suggest some nice use cases to boost the WAF? :slight_smile: Will really appreciate that. Also, if I group the 1 and 5 together, will I get the notifications on both as opposed to setting up notify by sound etc. SmartApps individually for each of the Sonos?

The 1’s have newer drivers then the 5’s. Sound quality is way better on the 1’s.

1 Like

Aah! That explains it.

1 Like

@tslagle13

Do you know

I don’t sorry :frowning:

will give it a shot when in home after work.

Just confirmed if you have the Sonos in different rooms and do a Room Group, ST notifications play on both the Sonos’s!

Note for new users like me: Room grouping and stereo pairing are two separate functions.

1 Like

Are you sure? Does this work consistently? If so this is a good sign. I sure wish these bug fixes would be published in release notes like the phone apps.

Double checking right now. Will update in two minutes…

Ok. Just confirmed with Sonos 1 in my bedroom and Sonos 5 in family room. They are on separate floors too. Tested with 2 live scenarios.

1. Notify with sound for the front door (dog barking). Played on both the Sonos even though I have set it to play it in on one of the Sonos.

2. Mode change: Performed Good night hello home action. The notification is set for bedroom Sonos but it played on both.

The catch is that they have to be in Room group mode. Of course there was a 2-3 seconds lag between the action and the playing on Sonos simultaneously. The room grouping was done via Sonos app.

Ok guys! I don’t know whether I did a wise or a stupid thing!

I exchanged my Sonos 5 for two Sonos 1’s. I kept comparing the Sonos 5 sound quality to Bose SoundDock 10 and it made me restless. Why not have two Sonos 1’s (which I think has better sound quality) and use them in a stereo pair mode (may later become speakers for Sonos Home Theater setup if I decide to get the playbar and sub later)?.

So, final count: Three Sonos 1’s.

I couldn’t convince myself that Sonos 5 earned a place in the living room.

Update: Can’t wait to go home and set the two in stereo mode and then try to use room grouping and see if the notifications play in both the rooms.

Bedroom - 1 Sonos 1
Family Room - 2 Sonos 1’s (stereo paired)

1 Like

You guys are making me regret the Sonos 5 I bought a long time ago! I am happy with it, but two Sonos 1’s do sound more enticing because of the flexibility. Oh well!

This thread is officially hijacked!

2 Likes

2 Sonos Ones > 1 Sonos Fives

Well, was able to finally add the the three Sonos 1"s to ST without the weird error “you are unauthorized to perform this operation”. It disappeared of its own in a few minutes.

Well, I can confirm that two Sonos 1’s in stereo mode is far superior than one Sonos 5. Also, the stereo paired Sonos can further be grouped with a third Sonos in Room grouping mode.

As a result:

ST notifications and alarms can play on all three Sonos’s. Only one will show up as active in your app. The remaining two will appear as “grouped” in ST app. When you are setting up notify with sound, just select any of the three Sonos’s. Does not matter. It will play in all three.

Not positive, but if I remember right, the issue with grouping is that if you happen to deselect the group in the Sonos app. Then you can’t get notifications on more than one sonos at a time.

Solution should be the ability to select multiple sonos for the notification. Ignoring Sonos App grouping.