What can Alexa do for you?

I have one that would probably require a totally custom setup. When I go to bed at night (currently “Alexa, turn on good night”), I want Alexa to ask me what time to set a wake-up alarm to, or if we have any alarms set, ask me and my wife if our current alarms are good.

This would require integration across two phones, ST server, and Amazon server. The implementation would probably be to have an alarm clock virtual device, which Tasker updates anytime an alarm is set. Then a specific goodnight skill with Alexa that sorts out the alarm clock questions, and then runs the routine to turn off all the lights and .arm the alarm.

An added benefit of having alarm clock capabilities is that I can actually use gentle wake-up routines and pre-heating with our variable morning routines.

This was all triggered by forgetting to turn off my wake-up alarm on labour day…

1 Like

My request isn’t possible with Alexa currently.

I want her to say “Front Door Open” when the front door sensor triggers open. And likewise for all door sensors. Could have other applications as well, for example she could say “Danger Fire!” when a fire alarm triggers. Etc.

A[quote=“OracleLunaFaye, post:29, topic:97838, full:true”]
My request isn’t possible with Alexa currently.

I want her to say “Front Door Open” when the front door sensor triggers open. And likewise for all door sensors. Could have other applications as well, for example she could say “Danger Fire!” when a fire alarm triggers. Etc.
[/quote]

Many of us are running android control tablets with SmartTiles (now ActionTiles). Such a configuration, deploying Tasker and the AutoNotification plugin, can easily do the announcements for you. Note that you’ll have to configure them as you want them - but using regex, it’s not difficult to do many of them using fairly simple configurations.

Simply have ST do Push notifications for any event you want announced.
Have ST running also on the control tablet.
Have any notifications from ST get intercepted by AutoNotification.
Use %antext as the variable to drive the action(s) associated with the profile. Using regex, you can now grab anything from the notification and make it do almost anything. Make sure you clear %antext in each action after use.

So this would make your computer / tablet do the announcements but not Alexa?

Yes, exactly. And only the tablet ($40 at bestbuy) is needed, along with the above-noted apps.

Not the optimal solution perhaps… but until Alexa provides push notifications, it’s pretty good. It’s certainly working very well in my own home. I have it announcing calendar events, medication alerts for my cat, garbage/recycling day alerts, greetings depending on which code or presence unlocked the door or used their smartphone to call/msg to alert that they are at the door, just all kinds of useful stuff.

I’ll get it typed up when I get home tonight.

1 Like

The ability to issue alexa commands with smart home alias group. For example, “good night” will not just turn off my lights or run a ST routine, but it could also play sleep sounds in my bedroom and set the timer for 30 minutes.

I also would like to automatically connect/disconnect bluetooth depending on which harmony activity I run. ex: Connect to my soundbar if I play music, disconnect if I watch tv. So I guess that might require a way to build alexa macros that can also be triggered with reserved phrases, and be associated with a specific room.

1 Like

I’d like to be able to change the wake word to my ex wifes name so I can tell her what to do all day long (like she used to do to me) and she’ll do it or I’ll reboot her ass.

2 Likes

You can do that with a Honeywell Lynx alarm panel. Voice chime per zone or just doors.

I would like to be able to run more complex macros/activities/etc without having to use the invocation of a skill. (Nobody in my family can remember these… )

For very simple things I can do this right now by importing my smartthings devices into Harmony and setting up an activity there (e.g. Echo, Turn on TV Time). Ultimately I just want to say Echo,I want to watch TV.

The Echo, in conjunction with/linked to a fireTV/stick will do that now.
Me: Alexa, turn on the TV
Alexa: OK
Me: Alexa: Turn up the volume on the TV
Me: Alexa, launch Plex
As for more complex macros etc: I believe only EchoSistant and ask alexa have more of what your lookin for right now… but I totally agree that this would be great.

1 Like

Sorry, I was not clear… I did not only want to turn on the TV but also set lights and if necessary adjust the thermostat schedule in the “TV Time” activity.

One day I would also like to say “Echo, I am going to bed”, “Echo, I am working from home today” or “Echo, good morning” to override my automation schedules if needed. I can do this by invoking skills today but it does not feel 100% natural.

Or even better… I would like to say “I am working from home Echo” (invocation does not have to be at the beginning of the sentence).

2 Likes

It won’t be long before Amazon comes up with an equally brilliant solution as Google’s shortcuts. It makes things so much more “natural” …

1 Like