What are you automating? (UK hub)

Depending on your hacking levels, Energenie offer one, but you’d either need their hub or a custom 433MHz transceiver (like the Arduino one I’m playing with).

Maybe. It’s a heat exchanger system though, so changing the amount of water has an effect on the steam pressure. To be fair I only got it plumbed in last week, and I’m still waiting for a few replacement seals to arrive in the post before I start any major fiddling.

I’ve a feeling we’re drifting wildly off topic… :coffee:

I have an Energenie hub collecting dust.
Not sure how I missed that.
Will have to take a look.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Buy a Sonoff 4CH and hide it inside an extension cable, that will give exactly what you want for about £15!

I scraped the 4 that I had when one of them went faulty.
It was in a lamp that first of all started to flicker and went off completely.
When I checked the unit it was extremely hot and the plastic was getting soft with the heat. It would not have surprised me if it had caught fire.
My others were fine.
Took them all out and went to swiidinter ones.
4 times the price but they are certified and personally I want to keep my house.
Just my opinion.

1 Like

Fair enough, that is sadly true of most ESP based devices since the power supplies can be built terribly… Did you notice what it was that was generating the heat? Or just put it in the bin?

I dont actually own a 4CH, but I built my own from a regular sonoff and then wired in some extra relays which have the right capacity and isolation. It doesnt worry me because of the ventilation they get, but mine dont get hot and I havent seen many Sonoff fails online - given the number that have been sold (and used).

Just binned it.
It was a single switch, not a 4 CH switch.
Wonder if these are better.

Hm. A Sonoff T16 might manage my coffee machine…

My next project involves some 433MHz magneto-resistive wall switches which are currently in the air, according to AliExpress. I’ve already built a little Arduino transceiver for a couple of HomeEasy plugs and to detect pushes of the doorbell, so I’m hoping I can sniff these bad boys and have truly wireless light switches.

Don’t use ST plugs :smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

Having had ST for about 2 years and with the complete lack of any new kit I am wondering if its worth continuing with.
I have several Hue Lights (Strips, Bulbs, Go’s and Blooms) which I can switch on or off using my Google Home. The same with my Nest Thermostat and my Sonos I can cast to from my phone.
Because of the the ST door sensor being completely untrustworth before it packed in completely I think there is only the motion sensor which I will be honest doesnt really trigger anything and the outlet which is useful for switching on and off the Xmas Lights when we get to that time of year.
I am sure anything I have triggered by IFTTT can be done without using ST.
I have been looking at Lighwave RF outlets and light switches but I am waiting until next week until their announcement of new kit before jumping in. If I have to add another hub for Lightwave then I am afraid ST might be the one to be unplugged.

Its a pity because I did have greater expectations for the system when Samsung took it over but the implementation of it even on Samsung goods hasnt exactly been prolific.

1 Like

I agree, this year my system has been fairly stagnant.

The whole point in me starting this thread was because I wondered what people were doing but it looks like everyone is starting to hit the max possible with SmartThings.

The pure lack of anything new in quite some time is seriously worrying. I know they’ve announced some half hearted attempt at a WiFi router with built in ST, but I already have a hub and I would bet my Ubiquity WiFi would wipe the floor with anything they’ve come out with. They’ve also pushed out firmware to some devices which kills the battery and Device Health which on 90% of problems were just told to turn it off and ignore it (I still laugh at that support email)

This week Amazon has also announced their new lineup of Alexa devices, one of which has some Smart Home features built in. This means they are able to directly control the likes of Philips Hue lights etc…no extra hub needed - not even the Hue Bridge.

As you say, LightwaveRF are about to announce something big, Amazon’s new device, Google talking about competing with Amazon Echo new lineup (so I guess they won’t be left behind on the SmartHome front) and even Wink stepping up their game…SmartThings is in serious danger at the moment, but they’ve been working on stability for MONTHS!

This on top of the fact that they forget about people in the UK (when was the last time they did a UK offer? Or maybe announced a new service/device for us?..anyone?) I think I might be looking elsewhere too, especially with all the other competitors moving forward happily.

Kraeg

1 Like

Guys,
The only reason I bought my ST was for automation
I don’t want to tell Alexa to do things…
The only command I give to Alexa is to turn on nightmode before I go to bed.

I walk into my kitchen in the evening and my lights come on reliably, going off a minute after I walk out.

I walk up to my front door in the evening and the led strip around it changes from a dim blue to a mix of bright white & blue so I can see the keypad better.
At christmas it flashes green, red & white. At halloween it’s orange & purple.

When there is someone at the door and they don’t bother to ring my bell, but quietly knock, the house tells me that there is someone at the door.
If the postman leaves me a letter in my external postbox the house tells me.
If I forget to lock the shed then the house tells me.

These are just a few of the automations I have at home which does not require me to tell Alexa to turn on a light or any other device.

Probably 90% of my devices are z-wave, which the new Echos do not support.(whereas almost all HA hubs do - the main reason I set it up like that so I could easily change hubs if I wanted to)

Until the Echos support automations and z-wave or until a decent, reliable, non-cloud HA hub is released then I’ll probably stick with ST

2 Likes

thats really impressive solution.

Can I ask what camera you are using & also what door lock to enable remote lock/unlock?

@Richard_Smart the camera is a cheap £20 wireless bullet camera from eBay that is 720p. Quality is surprisingly good. Just a bit slow on framerate, it’s about 10 fps. The door lock is a Yale keyfree lock.

I now use sighthound for the CCTV which now has triggers and announcements for when someone is approaching my door which works well with homeseer

I stopped using ST and since then the reliability of my house is second to none. It’s all very quick and seamless and the house works around me. I only use alexa when I wish to deviate from the normal routines. For example I have a burglar alarm that arms and disarms automatically. And allows a 60 second grace period that still works off the power is tripped add it’s all ups powered. But the burglar alarm works without keyfobs and phone presence sensors which are unreliable. In use a mixture of wifi detection and facial recognition

1 Like

If you stopped using ST, what have you switched to? If you don’t mind me asking!

@cjcharles not at all. I am now using Homeseer. Whitten I first left ST I went down the route of a Vera plus. Which although more reliable than smartthings comes with its own problems mainly around handling the scale of my smart home. When I tried Homeseer I hated the dated interface but everything just worked very reliably and fast and I haven’t looked back since. You would have to prize homeseer from my cold dead fingers. But if you ever do go down the route of homeseer don’t the route of buying the expensive version with HSTouch as that software it’s crap. Buy the imperihome app and plugin instead.

1 Like

@Fuzzyligic
Did you migrate all your hardware (zigbee & z-wave) from ST or did you buy new?

I migrated virtually all my things. Only my tado devices and zigbee presence fobs remain on smartthings. With at the time over 150 devices or took a long time. But I started a new zwave network and phased things across manually…

Sounds expensive.