What actually happens when IDE`s swap

Seems to be a New smarthings connect in my note 8 phone. Just appeared I didn’t do anything. It is where the connect to Samsung tv , watch is located . In the notification area. Anyone else get this ?

I just selected it and deleted it from my Samsung IDE

Thanks for the responses.

I went into IDE, applied ‘default = true’ to my Home location, then deleted the phantom location without a problem. :wink:

Not seen anything in mine bob, last update was 15/03

At work. Will send some screenshots later of the app ( not sure if it is an app or part of a software update)

For the second issue, you can work around it by creating two automations, even though that’s a pain. If you’re able to set your security state based on location at all, you’re doing better than I am.

My outcome is based on comparing current ST Classic and the functionality that is there versus what exists in the NEW App. I’m not using the app other than testing functionality and evaluating current functions to what is available in the new app.

Creating two Automations will not be acceptable for the customer base knowing that they can do it with one Routine in today’s world by being able to specify which Mode(s) the Routine runs in and at the same time be able to set both the Security and Location Modes when including Mode as a Condition for the Automation.

That’s why I made the statement that I’m going to give it more time for this NEW app to mature to see if they just haven’t added all functionality or performed all their internal UAT.

IMO - The functionality to be able to select Location Mode for both a Condition and an Action in the same Automation is a must, and at the same time, being able to select multiple Location Modes within one Condition is also mandatory as both of these features exist in Routines today. They have added the ability to add more complexity by being able to state “When all Conditions are met” or “When Any condition is met” and also added enhanced functionality for Location device (mobile phone) to be able to specify when any or all devices leave or arrive. To remove the Location Mode functionality and force people to create 2 Automations to accomplish the same thing, will be a major downfall. So right now I see this as something that is either an oversight or they just haven’t gotten that far in development. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally agree, which is why I called it a workaround, not a solution. And of course it does nothing for the first half of your problem.

1 Like

One of the reasons I’m not using / replacing the app from Classic. I agree, if this was the primary app I was using, I could implement as a workaround, but I’m only using for comparison purposes as an observer and relay that info to the community.

Also what we don’t see under Automations yet is all of our existing Routines and how they might plan to migrate those over or if there is going to be some sort of export/import utility. That’s another reason that I believe that the NEW app is just incomplete as the compatibility of porting our existing Routines into Automations in NEW app will break all Routines where people are specifying multiple modes as a precursor for Routines and using them as a precursor for execution and also modifying mode based on mode and other precursors.

I sure hope that I am right in making the assumption that they will implement those wrappers into Automations :slight_smile:

Given SmartThings’s record with “migration tools”, I have no reason to believe that they will port existing customer’s Routines to the new App.

1 Like

Ya, I’m not saying an actual utility per se. More of something that ties in with the methodology of how they migrated(ing) everything into a Samsung account.

As of right now, it appears that most stuff in the NEW app is an exact reflection of our current IDE. If I open the Classic App and rename one of my SmartApps, and then immediately go over to the NEW app, that name change shows in Automations for the SmartApp. This includes SHM and Location Modes as well. If I add a new Location Mode “Test” that then shows up in the NEW App.

As for Automations as a whole the way they are being stored in the NEW app it includes any New Automations (equivalent of Routines but still just classified as an Automation) and also includes ALL SmartApps (custom and SmartThings).

So in my posts above tied to functions of the new Custom Automations and the observations of some added functionality and at the same time, the absence of equivalent functions in current Routines, my opinion is that they haven’t completed development in the NEW app around those specifics above within the Automation piece alone.

How they get (make them appear) existing Routines into the new app as Automations without losing any functionality of the existing Routines, I’m not sure. They may just replicate the same thing they are doing for SmartApps to show up under Automations once they wrap up development/testing. This is the route I think is more likely. If people have to create Automations from scratch to replace Routines, or creating Automations that have less functionality (not being able to select Location Mode as a Condition and an Action in the same Automation as an example), that will be one of those nightmares I hope we don’t see. That’s why I think they are still developing that portion of things, well at least that’s what my hope is. :slight_smile:

I hope they improve the look of the connect app, i see less info per page than in Classic, classic is more tactile for a flat surface, the Ui designer in classic really needed a big pat on the back, except when it came to icons… that was poor

Answer myself:
Not at the moment, devices are duplicated between the Samsung and Smartthings account, if a device is deleted in the Smartthings account/IDE it will also become deleted in the Samsung account and vice versa
I expect that to change as things progress with the Samsung account supporting all things IDE without the need to lean on the Smartthings account… who knows, maybe that is also part of the migration, maybe someone who has been migrated can test

Also of interest to me as i am a front end nutcase, Harmon have a very good rep for design, my fingers are crossed they can throw some magic at the current Connect Ui

:smile: That’s what we tried explaining in app those posts to you up above.

There is one IDE for now, period. Whether you have a Samsung or SmartThings account, the IDE is located in the same place at https://account.smartthings.com.

Now because you have two accounts with different email addresses and haven’t migrated, you simply have two different places in the IDE that your devices and information is stored.

SmartThings Classic and Samsung Connect (new app) share this same IDE, so if you do something in ST Classic, you will affect the Samsung Connect as well and vice versa for some things.

This is why we stated for you to wait for the Migration to take place and not go about it yourself :slight_smile:

Well u didnt explain it as good as me WB and i only have the one mail addy associated with both accounts separated only by different passwords

:rofl: Well now that you “get it”, wait for the migration :smile:

Ok yes i would recommend NOT doing anything manually as WB suggests

1 Like