Welcome to the SmartThings Community Forums

(system) #1

This is a place for learning, helping, and sharing experiences with SmartThings, SmartApps, the Internet of Things, and home automation. This is a public forum. Anyone can view these discussions. To participate, log in with your SmartThings account (or - soon - your old Forum account).

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely aids to the human judgment of our community. Use these guidelines to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Please spend some time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction. Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Your Participation Counts

The conversations we have here set the tone for everyone. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.

Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: favorites, bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.

Let’s try to leave our park better than we found it.

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider
    offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum. These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information
    attached to it.
  • Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a New Topic.

Post Only Your Own Stuff

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.

Share Your Solutions

Occasionally you may post a problem and find your own solution before anyone else does. In those cases, it is nice if you also post a followup - sharing your solution. Odds are others will experience similar issues and will be grateful to find your solution.

Intruder detected whilst disarmed
Samsung SmartCam: SNH-P6410BN, SNH-E6440BN and SNH-1011ND (+WWW Digest auth) (tested and working)
Women and Smart Home Technology
(Ben Edwards) #2

A few other intereating things you might not know about this new forum:

Here are a few more benefits that might not be immediately apparent:

1. There are live previews while composing posts
  2. Composing stays active while browsing - so you can navigate around the forum while you think about what to state without losing what you have already written
  3. While composing, possible posts pop up showing you what you may be looking for to avoid duplicating an existing topic
  4. Search people by starting to type the “@” sign - those already a part of the topic will show first, then others
  5. You can see the number of posts remaining as you scroll a topic with a status bar towards the bottom-right
  6. There’s a notification center that shows you who replied or liked your followed posts at the top-right
  7. The background colors for new posts fade as you read them to give a sense of location on the forums
  8. You can get emails from threads you are following and reply directly in your email. You can change your notification settings on your preference page.

More Tips & Tricks are found in the Meta category.

(Ben Edwards) #3

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

(Ben Edwards) #4

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

(Rob Keown) #5

How do you sort messages in the community forums so that the latest message appears first in the list? I imagine I have missed the icon or preference where this is set, so my apologies if it is obvious.

Rob Keown

(Ron S) #6

There may be a more intuitive way but I do this. Click on the icon next to your avatar which brings up the popup shown below and click on Latest.

Unless I got your requirement wrong.

(Ben Edwards) #7

I click on the Latest and New links from the homepage a lot.

(Robin Arnold) #8

I am trying to install a smart dimmer, and my box does not have a neutral wire. There are only a line, load and ground. The house is only 25 years old. Can a neutral wire be added…I am assuming I would need an electrician?

This should help. (This is a clickable link.)

(Rich Morano) #10

Go control connected to gate, but how and how to mount the til sensor?

(Malcolm Thomson) #11

I find it odd that as a new user (no sure for how long), I can only post 3 times to one topic. That makes it really hard to get problems resolved when we are having them. The suggestion is to edit a previous post but I don’t think people pay attention to the edits. Why have this limit?

(Discourse Support) #12

The default settings are used to prevent spam on most forums but if you
need to change those to better meet your needs you can do so under Admin >
Settings > Rate Limits.

There are settings for “max topics in first day” and “max replies in first
day” that you can adjust.

(Malcolm Thomson) #13

Thank you for the tips… however how do I get to a “Admin” menu? I’ve checked out preferences and my profile and can’t find anything like what you suggest or an Admin menu anywhere.

(Discourse Support) #14

The “Admin” menu is reserved for admins of this forum. You will need to
contact an actual admin on the about page
https://community.smartthings.com/about. I’m just a developer of the
software running this forum, but an actual smart things admin can change
those settings if they feel it is necessary.