Weird issue (and workaround) for automations involving motion sensor and button

I have been pulling my hair out forever and wasted at least $500 in energy this summer bc I gave up.

The issue is in automations. If you try to make both a motion sensor and a button (with any condition met clicked) it will not save the delay time on the sensors.

If you do 4 different sensors it’s fine. But as soon as you also want to hit a button to circumvent the delay on the sensors… It deletes the time you saved in regards to that delay and then if you have an automation to also turn those lights on you get a nice haunted house effect.

The workaround is simple. Program two automations. One for the motion sensors, and one for the button. I was trying to save having to have a second automation do the same thing but st just didn’t want to do that.

1 Like

So I’ve just seen. Seems a little odd just to drop settings without comment.

I’m not sure how the underlying Rule could be sensibly constructed though. Buttons don’t have a standby state (despite what the app makes it appear), they always report the last button action.

For ‘all conditions’ the other sensor conditions could be treated like preconditions so only the button is a trigger. That’s fine. You’ll notice the app warns you that is happening.

However for ‘any conditions’ when anything activates the Automation to test its conditions it is going to run the action because the button condition is true. The delays probably wouldn’t do anything anyway.

Two Automations would indeed be the way to implement it.

Currently Rules don’t have a way to test if the button has just been pressed like, for example, webCoRE. So you have to repeat yourself rather a lot. I often have three buttons in a room that do the same thing. I have to handle each individually.