Weekly Update from Alex - 07/23/16

We are providing updates here:

2 Likes

Yesterday (07/24), my Smart Lighting “at sunset -20 min” rule fired at 5:32 PM, about 3 hours ahead of schedule. If this isn’t a scheduler problem, then what?

commandId 288
date 2016-07-24 5:32:00.138 PM PDT (2016-07-25T00:32:00.138Z)
description Living Room Lighting Automation sent on command to Living Room Sconce
deviceId 7e950796-3e8e-4e2e-906b-89a76c44f5e9
displayed true
eventSource APP_COMMAND

2 Likes

Putting a thought out there, is ST using Amazon Lambda? Lamda is supposed to a event driven platform that automatically scales and high reliability etc. Wonder what Robert thinks about it

Have the “weekly updates” stopped? Or did I miss them?

FWIW, for a long time I had no scheduling issues. Recently, a number of Smart Lighting automations began failing. Support says they are well aware of the problem & engineering is looking into it – but an occasional update from the top might help keep current customers in the fold…

6 Likes

I was just wonder the same thing. Maybe @alex is on vacation. It is that time of year.

1 Like

Or maybe he’s about to give up on the platform like the rest of us.

4 Likes

About to? Now that’s funny!

2 Likes

I can confirm this too. Some Smart Lighting automations don’t fire. Occasionally a routine won’t fire. Usually my goodnight and/or evening routines

1 Like

Same here. Have noticed 3 routines in the last couple days that did not fire at the scheduled time. They’ve been solid for months. Two were sunset/sunrise based, one was time-based.

1 Like

We’re seeing some server hotspots, we are looking into the cause. I hope to have some updates soon.

5 Likes

Mine are time based and one is rule is contact sensor triggered… Lights come on when door is opened, turn off when door closes, after 3 minutes.

Thanks for the reply! Hope it’s sorted soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We saw a increase in scheduling activity, we are expanding the cluster in the short term until we can find the root cause.

If I am not mistaken expanding the cluster was the fix the last time around, or was it the first time?. It always seemed to me that timed event failures was the direct result of capacity issues.

1 Like

It’s a little bit different this time. But yes, last time was capacity issues, the increase here we think is reversible.

1 Like

@slagle I can confirm my time based routines fired correctly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It does appear that the rate of timed event failures have diminished over the past 24 hours.

4 Likes

@alex Can we have an update on whether or not you’ll be continuing updates?

5 Likes

Both Alex and I were out last week. We mentioned in a post 2 weeks ago that they wold resume when he was back.

Maybe I missed it he still on vacation 2 weeks later?

Ask Google, they located him hiking here:

@alex I didn’t know Google is stalking you…

1 Like