Weekly Update from Alex - 07/10/16

How your poor engineers lived in Java 7 for this long is beyond me! Poor folks… give them their lambdas and streams for god’s sake! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome back! While you were away, many things have changed. We lost a lot of bright developers like yourself. We’ve had several promises that stability is on its way, but not really panned out, just yet. Maybe in few weeks. Meanwhile, some people fled to other competitors and others are either waiting for better days or struggle to fight with what they have, which is the same old tools that you know.

2 Likes

I haven’t been looking at the forum lately as things had been going fairly well but then started having problems. Low and behold I find out ST did a platform upgrade, go figure.

Now I can only hope that someone in the community has a fix to the several problems I have been having as I don’t expect any fixes from ST for quite a while.

We actually haven’t pushed this yet.

Support is tracking some things with engineering, please reach out to them. More data is good data.

Hey @slagle

Can we get an update on the timeline for that push? What’s going on with it? What problems are you running in to? etc… etc… etc…

Did I miss the update from Alex on Friday???

It’s when they feel like it.

2 Likes

One of my biggest issues is the app, it sucks. Any screen change I get the spinning wheel for about 5 seconds. Rooms, things, smartapps, etc., doesn’t matter at least 5 second wait. The notifications section takes 5 to 7 seconds to add more events that have happened and I’m talking from a couple minutes ago. The performance of the iOS app is absolutely horrible. I have had this problem for about 3 weeks (+/- a couple days).

Anyone else having a similar issue? It just sucks using the app now and since ST doesn’t really have any keypads (minimote is not a keypad BTW) I’m stuck using the app.

2 Likes

Having done a bit of ‘major’ work tonight in the app, yea its painful. Got a new Hue hub, so doing a replacement of that and all the connected bulbs to it, took forever. Spinning all over the place. Red bars for various ‘errors’ that seemingly go away if you just wait and hit next again. In the end it all got done but it was not fun. Tons of time outs, tons of red bars, tons of errors. Nothing that was perm, wait for the red bar to go away and hit next again.

There really isn’t anything to share, yet. I’ve been in constant contact with the eng team. I’d love to share something but there just isn’t anything, yet.

I’ll be checking in with the eng team again tomorrow.

2 Likes

What happened to the regular updates? It seems like the system is slacking again and we haven’t had an update in a long time.

It’s pretty obvious @alex’s role has changed with the company, if he is even still with the company. He hasn’t logged into the community with his account in 7 weeks. Silence just creates speculation and that’s what I am doing here.

5 Likes

Too much drama on both sides only makes people run away! Cannot blame either sides…it was reaching ridiculous levels…

1 Like

His tweets had him on ‘vacation’ for like a month. So I guess there’s a month of backlog emails. Then the whole Note 7 speech I bet all parts of Samsung got “do not blow up devices, ever” … that probably was a good day of time down the drain

3 Likes

Yeah about that… who wants to bet that was an inside job designed to take the heat off of Smartthings…

I can just see the conversations…

Dude, what’s up with ST? People are pissed the lights don’t work right…

Suck it butt face! At least my hub isn’t hub the house down!

4 Likes

The idea of a CEO running away would be hilarious if it weren’t so incredibly sad and pathetic. In cases where such were true, it would only serve to demonstrate a truth that was there all along and in all likely hood led to the situation to begin with.

EDIT: Irony at it’s best…

Alex Hawkinson ‏@ahawkinson Oct 12 San Jose, CA
In general, from my standpoint I would be fine if @Instacart, @munchery, and @doordash simply raised prices to ensure a healthy business.

3 Likes

ROTFLMAO! :laughing:

2 Likes

As of September 8th he still had a desk 20ft from @Tyler.

I have to say this is a very disappointing turn of events. I came from the Lowe’s Iris world where communication was done through subcontracted PR people. One of the key decision points for me was the level of staff engagement here, especially at the executive level. That openness and ease in which staff and management engages with customers seems to have pretty much gone away. I can’t help but think there’s a gag order in place.

I have to agree - an extremely disappointing last few days. The status has remained as “we are continuing to investigate additional performance improvements” and has not changed since Friday. For the first time in awhile, I actually needed to tweak some thing over the weekend, and it was a very unpleasant experience. Mobile app was extremely slow at best but most of the time just froze up altogether. I was just thinking about a week ago how stable things had been for me (sorry if I jinxed it for everyone), and for the most part that is still true for everything I’ve been able to get running locally. It’s only when I have to touch anything that’s cloud-dependent where things fall apart.

This is just not ok.

1 Like

So you are the reason that I am seeing such slow ST app performance @brbeaird ?!?!?

LOL :wink:

1 Like