Weekly Update from Alex - 06/24/16

Are you guys still seeing the error? We just deployed a hotfix that should have resolved it.

8 Likes

@vlad Worked 5 times out of 5 attempts (I tested from CoRE only). Thank you!

1 Like

I’ll find out when I leave the house in a few minutes :slight_smile:

It appears to be working again. Tested Button Controller and Ask Alexa SmartApps. Will continue to monitor.

1 Like

@vlad

Haven’t been home to try it but thank you for a fast response.

Hey Vlad, Did someone unfix the hotfix? I appear to be having the same issue again tonight. I can no longer trigger routines from my SmartApps.

1 Like

I noticed the same thing and I am looking into it now.

1 Like

Did some checking and it seems to be working well again, can’t find a way to get routines to fail (Directly or through an automation). I will monitor it closely though.

2 Likes

20 minutes ago…

Maybe it’s time to give ‘null’ more permissions.

7 Likes

@scottinpollock @slagle I am seeing the same error. Apparently it is now intermittent. In the attached screen capture, it failed to disarm “…null is not permitted…” but then armed without issue 2 minutes later. Both times I attempted to trigger the change from a physical keypad (via Button Controller SmartApp)

Occurred at 11:18am Central Time

-Tim

2 Likes

@slagle Not sure if this is relevant, but I did notice a difference on executing the Hello Home action from a SmartApp vs. manually. With respect to the log entry below, the SmartApp trigger failed while the following Manual trigger worked correctly.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the details. http://status.smartthings.com was updated to reflect this issue and we just deployed a fix. We are seeing good signs from the fix and are monitoring it now. Stay tuned tot he status page for updates.

3 Likes

Hi Alex. @alex

Glad to see you’re making headway with the stability improvements.

Whilst I’ve been impacted with the odd outage etc, as others have, I’m confident your team will keep driving to bolster the solution.

I’m equally interested/concerned in the progress being made regarding platform features though. Like most, I’m battling full WAF (wife approval factor) as I slowly implement smart tech into our home. It would really help to know if scene controllers, wall mounted video control panels and other new device types/partner support are on the way.

That helps us address expectations as we piece this together rather than buy a turnkey solution such as control 4. They (WAF) want the polish without that pricetag and don’t care that we can’t tinker with it.

The community is awesome at building new apps or device handlers but I feel we need an uptick from the officially supported camp too.

It’s hard to defend a question about why we can’t choose a four button scene controller as it’s not supported (eg Leviton range) or why we can’t have the blinds she picked out (Lutron) as there’s no partnership.

I’m a big fan of what you’re doing and have invested a great deal or time and money thus far.

Could you kindly update us on what progress is being made to build out the platform not just making it more stable (although we like reading about that too)

Many thanks in advance.
Martin

3 Likes

If you get blinds from the Lutron Serena range, they work with IFTTT, which gives you indirect integration with SmartThings that is usually sufficient for window coverings. There may be a slight lag introduced because of IFTTT, but that’s not usually a big deal for shades.

The Enerwave SC7 is a 7 button wallmount device that works with SmartThings and is quite popular, although it depends on community-created code.

And the third-party SmartTiles dashboard is an app that can run in any web browser, so it’s easy to use with a wall mount tablet. Again, it’s not officially supported, but it has been featured in the official blog. It’s fully customizable, so you can display only the individual devices that you want to. Also very popular in the community, there’s even a thread just to discuss different hardware options that people use with it.

www.smarttiles.click

The downside to the Enerwave and SmartTiles solutions is that they will not work if either the Internet or the SmartThings cloud are unavailable. So an officially-approved device that could run locally would definitely be better. :sunglasses:

So I’m not disagreeing with your point in any way, just wanted to mention that there are some alternatives that people are using now.

2 Likes

Thanks @JDRoberts.

I’m sure that will work but I’m quite keen to hear when/if Lutron will be supported. They’re an industry leader in lighting and blinds so it’s only natural to think they will be supported on ST. That’s a fair question to ask.

Wink, Harmony, Echo all support natively so it’s puzzling why Smart Bridge Pro is not supported on ST.

I continue to hear from others in the forum about wanting to leave ST due to stabiliy issues. I’m personally not one of them but if the only way this platform expands is by relying on community amazing efforts then I have an issue in the long run.

Many thanks again.

Martin.

2 Likes

I agree with your sentiments and this statement except it’s only a problem if the word “only” is the key.

In other words, SmartThings’s likely success will indeed be, in no small way, owed to the “Community’s amazing efforts” and SmartThings’s ability to leverage and appreciate them. SmartThings must do the building, evolving and operating of the most resilient and extensible smart home foundation / platform for developers to be infinitely creative with.

2 Likes

I think it’s also an issue with manufacturers wanting customers to use their own systems. In lutrons case they require you to use their hub and app for most things unless you control it through iftttt, which even then is severely limited. I know a few other manufacturers who are also following the same mantra, because at the end of it they want you to be invested in their system and not someone else’s.

3 Likes

Maybe they want to be able to guarantee good user experience and don’t want to deal with supporting users of some third party platform that may or may not be having sporadic issues.
If they concentrate on their system, they can test it, debug it and ensure it works consistently. Allowing integration with another system exposes them to problems that are out of their control. That could be an option in the future once their own system is stable enough and they could/want to spare the resources to work on something else.

True, but at the same time they could have a basic api which allows for the same control. If an integration is provided through an api it reduces the work needed to maintain an integration and most of the work would actually be on the side of whoever is planning the integration. As of now they provide very limited access to their api.

If you want to discuss the details of specific integrations, we should start a new thread, but if you’re referring to Lutron, they do have an open API, many installers use it to include lutron lighting into a home theater set up. But it requires LAN communication which the SmartThings hub does not support.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/040249.pdf

If you look at the bridge project that one community member did for his own Lutron devices, the issue wasn’t on the Lutron side.