Weekly Update from Alex - 05/14/16

When will there be a migration tool? Its been over a year since the promise of a migrating tool and I for one am holding steady before leaving v1. I am not having nearly the issues I see v2 people complaining about… Any ETA?

4 Likes

For me if my choice is local control or less automations, I choose local control even if I have to write more automations. I consider my labor well worth it when it comes to xAF. Plus I’d be concerned that setting a bunch of different dims in one automation would break the time limit.

BTW doesn’t an “on” turn them on to their last dim level? So why not just set the dim once and then turn them on/off?

Speaking of 2016, what really concerns me about ST, is the lack of transparency when it comes to removing features that were once available. We are presented with weekly updates, of the progress, which is a step forward from couple of months ago. But still the firmware updates lack the basic details of what features are being removed, for what reasons and if (when) they are coming back. This type of communication is vital to build trust in the system. I could understand if some features are turned off to gain stability, but once offered, if they are removed, I’d like to know why and when. In my mind, this practice is not much different than Google turning the lights off on Revolv.

Here are a few that caught my attention:

SHM notify with colored lights. Was once working, now is not available. @slagle promised will research and provide an update but didn’t happen in a few weeks

Another is turning off a switch after x minutes a switch was turned on. The delay is still available for other capabilities, except for switch

1 Like

Power allowance in Smart Lighting will do this. Do you not see it as an option?[quote=“SBDOBRESCU, post:24, topic:47914”]
SHM notify with colored lights.
[/quote]
I’ll look.into this today.

Sure, that is a viable work around for a removed feature :slight_smile: I could split the instance in two, but a few weeks ago I didn’t have to, that was my point…

1 Like

And let’s not forget that power allowance, once very reliable, is not very not reliable.

Just looked at the code, that section of code has been the same since August. That automation was always meant to be a “big switch”. Power allowance was implemented specifically because switches didn’t have a way to do what your talking about.

1 Like

As for the color changing, this is in the “custom” right? If so, you are right it isn’t there and the product manager over SHM is adding this to the sprint that is starting today.

1 Like

My apologies! I could have sworn the delay was made available for switches when the it was implemented for the other capabilities. So, I was wrong with one, but if the first one didn’t happen, I would not have questioned the second. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ST has reverted to slow and unreliable again, so I’m out of here. I was going to ditch ST this summer, but I’m now going to bin it this Thursday.

In the last month my ST lighting control went from instant to 15 seconds, and this week ST has quit managing my Keen Smart Vents.

It’s the last straw after several months of swearing at ST and troubleshooting absurdly complicated HW/SW issues around simple local devices.

I want light reliable light switches to be a given, not an adventure, so I’ve gone back to X-10 lighting and Keen Vent hub. Manual control is far more reliable and less annoying than ST.

I’ll be selling off several hundred $$$ of lighting controls, the hub, and other misc. ST bits and pieces for cheap, so keep your eyes on the For Sale section.

1 Like

Unrelated to this post, but since I see you guys are being repsonsive to others, Ill ask, maybe Ill get pointed to a better place to discuss.

Id like to see some improvements in SHM, #1 being arming and disarming delays.

1 Like

Having to set up a separate Power Allowance also forces it to run for all occurrences of the light being turned on. In my case, I want the porch light to turn on for 10 minutes based on presence when someone returns home after sunset and before sunrise. If I manually turn on the porch light because I’m expecting company, I don’t want the lights to turn off automatically.

Fortunately, I’ve found a community-created Smart App to accomplish this task and it’s been fairly reliable.

5 Likes

Wait…you mean, where Alex mentioned ‘Hub Firmware’ above, he was only talking about the v2 hub?

If so, @alex is there any chance you guys would be willing to make that distinction for us (that is, for those of us that aren’t familiar enough with the ST Platform/Universe) when posting things like this? Sorry…I know I’m a bit of an ignoramus and it’s probably obvious in context to those that know it, but…humor me?

EDIT: I do see it mentioned in the title on the page you linked to, but still :slight_smile:

:stayingtuned:

1 Like

Couple things as a follow-up.

1. Routines are getting a deep dive starting today for functionality and reliability improvements.

2. There is a Hub v1 firmware update in the works. It is a little more work to get a Hub v1 update out than a Hub v2 update, so we want to make sure we get some critical Z-Wave and ZigBee updates into the release.

9 Likes

I was just about to ask you if you had a chance to follow up on this, good thing I looked back. I totally missed your post. Thank you for your quick response!

1 Like

Resurrecting an old topic here - how much more is “[…] a little more work […]”? This statement was half a year ago and nothing seems to have happened on the hub v1 FW front since then. Any updates? Any time line? Or are the initial supporters of the platform simply SOL?

1 Like

I have FW 000.013.00013 on my V1 hub. The first reference I found to this version is January 2015. Sounds like V1 development is dead.

@slagle ?

Wondering the same thing about Alex???

that’s a safe bet. you want new fw, buy a newer hub…

@alex disappeared months ago. No one is ready to officially disclose his whereabouts…