webCoRE Introductory Video

@ady624 you may want to think about making ‘Execute tasks on condition state change only’ the default for new pistons? It seems as though most times when you evaluate a condition you would want your task to only run once unless the condition state changes?

I can give you examples in both directions… For example, many want to report temperature, people are abusing the piston state these days… temperature is one thing that changes and you may want data reported. On the other hand, you may want a single notification when the temperature goes over X degrees. I can’t really tell which one has more advantage over the other. There will be a template site for pistons, so people have a starting point and that hopefully covers most users. But if I change it, others will request the opposite of your request, so it’s really a coin toss.

5 Likes

Great video!

I guess I will need to get webCoRE up and running now.
I just recently deprecated my last few rules from Rule Machine to use CoRE.
Using a browser will definitely make this go a lot quicker than using my mobile or using an Android emulator.

3 Likes

Great job. Clear, concise and very easy to listen too.

You missed your calling as a voiceover artist :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@RobinWinbourne Great intro. Now that you have the process, are you planning any others? This seems trivial, but well-suited to a video: I really struggle with using the piston editor, even on a Windows browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE - any of them). It would be really useful to see piston creation, slow and deliberately. Just a thought.

Maybe when webCoRE comes out of Beta… for now it’s changing daily and my vids would be out-of-date too fast.

(@ady624 is a machine)

I’m planning to do some other ST tutorial stuff though, and I’m open to suggestions… just need to find some time lol!!

3 Likes

Does anybody know what fuel streams are for? Some sort of IPC between WebCoRE instances?

Is there a best practice for the number of pistons in an instance, or a preferred way of dividing work amongst WebCoRE instances? Right now I’m running about 40 pistons with something like 60 devices in a single instance. There was a message that would pop up a few revs ago advising you to limit your devices per WebCoRE instance, but it seems to have gone away and I never experienced any problems anyway.

That said, if the result is faster performance I’d be willing break my installation up into multiple WebCoREs, especially if they can share data via fuel stream.

Just trying to grasp the vision here…

There are no longer any limits on the number of pistons / devices per instance.

Fuel streams is for analytics, it gives you graphs of data.

When building a piston there is an action to send data to fuel stream, once data is being sent you’ll start seeing graphs.

1 Like

hmm… all those Iris smartplugs with the power meters in them are suddenly more interesting.

5 Likes

@ady624 Have finally completed my move to web core but you answer to the question regarding something only running once has got me thinking. I have pistons setup to switch on Lights whenever movement is detected in a room and switch off after a prescribed amount of no motion. Will these pistons be running every time movement is detected Evening if light is already on and will this constant firing affect performance. Is there a condition or setting I should be using to only execute turning the light on if it’s not already on? Your help really appreciated as I have 30 lighting pistons and worried I might overload things.

As long as command optimization is on (it is on by default) then it will not send the on command again if the light is already on. So the piston will fire but the action will be canceled because there will be no change.

Also you will get better assistance in the assistance webcore thread.

1 Like

I’ll be moving this thread over to the new forum shortly:

1 Like

@tgauchat

Changed it back to ‘Depreciated’ as I’m English lol…

1 Like

https://techterms.com/definition/deprecated

In the world of software development, “deprecated” refers to functions or elements that are in the process of being replaced by newer ones. The term comes from the word “deprecate,” which means to disapprove of something. While deprecated items may work in the current version of a programming language, they may not function in future updates. Therefore, software developers are advised to replace deprecated items with other options.

1 Like

Ok… changed it back :joy:

Thought it was one of those American v English words haha

1 Like

Depreciated refers to value being reduced, deprecated is an old word programmers started using - it is similar to obsolete, though it has a slightly different meaning: the software is still good, though no longer recommended. I renamed a bunch of your Depreciated to Deprecated too

4 Likes

So kind of like rule machine?

4 Likes

My install still works!

Soon as it breaks I’ll switch to WebCoRE :sunglasses:

No I think he meant the thread is deprecated, not webCoRE ;)) but you have a point lol