[DEPRECATED THREAD] webCoRE Beta Milestone 1

Need some suggestions on getting up to speed, here. I’ve used CoRE for months now to construct some nice pistons for my home. I want to start digging in to WebCoRE, but I have ZERO coding experience and everything I’ve learned has been through poring through posts and following welcome suggestions from the forum.

Would anyone suggest a book/online course/something to get me up to speed on the logic and language to build more complex pistons via WebCoRE?

1 Like

Hi Lisa,

If you can handle CoRE, you can handle WebCoRE. You don’t need programming knowledge to use it

Plus lots of help here on the forum as you go…

Come on in, the waters fine :slight_smile:

Rick

3 Likes

The script editor makes us all look like fancy coders but like @Toy4Rick said it is easy with no knowledge required. What you dont see from all the posts is the simple user interface Adrian has developed. I assure you it is pretty much all point and click. Once you start digging into expressions you will learn fast the syntax and be right up to speed.

3 Likes

@anon36505037 I really like the approach you are using here - to turn off large numbers of devices using a loop - but I am unfamiliar with the operation/syntax for “save matching devices to {varup}”. Can you give me a pointer here on how you are selecting these devices to add to the {varup} device variable?

1 Like

Think of it like when you are picking players for a team. As players are getting selected they are no longer available to be chosen for your team.

So as the lights are turning off he is crossing them off the list of lights that are turned on.

You can access this by clicking the cog icon when you have multiple devices selected or a device variable selected with multiple devices in it.

1 Like

Thank you guys, that’s very helpful.

@anon36505037 - I’m coming up blank on that procedure for saving matching and non-matching devices to a variable? Would you mind posting an image or adding some more detailed steps? Seems like that would be a very useful trick and I’d like to understand how to use it.

1 Like

Using the image he posted above you… Click on the ‘with’ then in the edit dialog that appears click the gear cog in the bottom right corner. These are the advanced options. Make sure you have a variable that you plan to save this list too from there.

1 Like

@ady624 Note sure if this bug has been reported, but when turning my iPhone 7 to landscape mode while looking at a piston in landscape mode the entire screen goes black. If I rotate back to portrait mode the piston shows again. Rotate back to landscape and it disappears again etc. EDIT: Disregard - my phone is acting flaky and its happening to other web pages as well.

Also I am curious if you have plans to improve the Flash capability per my feature enhancement idea here [DEPRECATED Thread: visit community.webcore.co for assistance] webCoRE - Piston Design Help (ask your fellow members for assistance) or if I should switch over to IFTTT Maker. Thanks.

1 Like

I added your feature request into the webCoRE to do list. As noted on the page it does not promise it will be added but it is an easy place for Adrian to keep track of things.

Also I can not replicate the issue you are having with landscape mode on my iphone 6s using chrome. This is also the first I have seen of this issue. What browser are you using?

1 Like

Great, thanks for adding it to the to do list. Can you also add to that request the ability to set the flash on/off time in milliseconds instead of seconds? For instance in my case a full second flash for on/off is too slow. I’d like to use something more like 0.5 seconds.

In the meantime I may try to implement this myself with individual bulb commands (the easier thing would be to just use IFTTT for now, but it takes too long to start after getting triggered). It seems easy enough for me to set the bulb color and then wait 0.5 seconds then turn off for 0.5 seconds then turn back on for 0.5 seconds, but the kicker is that I don’t know how to restore the same color and brightness that the bulb was on before the flash started so that I can restore the bulb to its pre-flash state. Is there any type of command that will read the color and brightness into a variable? I didn’t see a way to fetch that so I could set it back when done.

Regarding the browser - I was using Safari on iOS just because that’s what the dashboard action launches it in. I tried in Chrome just now it is has the same issue. It goes black for a bit, then comes on, then goes black again as I try and scroll a bit, sort of randomly working and randomly going black. Thanks.

1 Like

Not sure but I think @HDGuy is talking about LIFX - I have no problem implementing more LIFX API methods, but i have no LIFX bulbs so I need someone’s help with testing

1 Like

Is there a way to comment out a line within a “do” block? For instance, temporarily I want to comment out a Flash Bulb command, and add in a IFTTT Maker command as a test. Later I’ll want to remove the Maker command and put the Flash Bulb command back in. So instead of removing the Flash command it would be nice to just temporarily comment it out. Not a big deal, but just curious if there’s a way to do that. It could really be helpful with more complicated code/blocks in other pistons.

2 Likes

Yup, LIFX bulbs. I’m happy to test and standing by… :slight_smile: I thought I recall you having a LIFX bulb or two to test with a while back when you first implemented the LIFX Activate Scene command, but I may be confusing that.

1 Like

That is already doable as it currently sits.

this should help you get on with saving the state as well.

1 Like

Please disregard about the screen going black in landscape mode - my phone is acting up and its happening to other webpages not just the webcore dashboard. Thanks.

2 Likes

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have looked and looked, and can’t figure out how to rename a piston. :blush: I’ve tried looking on the main screen, the piston screen and in the Edit Piston screen. Anyone know?

1 Like

Edit and click on the name :slight_smile:

Thanks! Didn’t realize those comments were clickable. Figured they were just computer generated static text. Easy enough. Thanks again.

1 Like

That brings up an interesting point - how about the ability to add comments to the code, not just to comment things out but to remember what the code is doing? Is that planned? Will be useful.

1 Like

Click on anything and click the cog icon in the bottom right. Give it a description.

1 Like