Ways to control HVAC? (Mode, presence, motion etc)

I’d love the jumpstart! More reading to do on CoRE when I get home.

1 Like

Take a good look here… And post your questions here… Lots of good info

2 Likes

Ok, so far so good in CoRE. I feel like it should have been in ST since the beginning! Did you mean ask question in that post, or in this post? Because my first question is how to get a piston to run on Mon-Fri only. I only see an option for every day or every week, not an option to pick the days of the week.

Post your questions in that thread… That way things stay organized! Lol

2 Likes

I don’t think this is true. Yes, if you have Ecobee’s the nicest one costs, but there are many many free ways that are easy.

I’m quite sure they get this, thus the V2. Yes, they haven’'t executed fully yet, but they certainly put a lot of effort and energy into getting started at least, give them credit for that.

I think a lot of people don’t use Smart Lighting enough. It can do about 60% of what I need. That’s not enough overall, but it’s enough that I’m not without automated lights when the internet is out at least.

1 Like

So far the only SmartApp I can find that offers 5-2 day scheduling is 3rd party and a paid-for option. Unless you know of another one?

I haven’t found anything built into ST with tstat schedules

Ummmmm CoRE works great for scheduling…

“Keep me cozy” has been working great for me four months… That’s in the market place.

But, since you want 5-2, I would use CoRE. It’s not designed around a thermostat our any device actually, but it will definitely do more than you could imagine.

Also, do a forum search… You can find all kinds of things…

And finally… What thermostat are you using?

First entry in this search looks promising: https://community.smartthings.com/search?q=5-2

Oops, I see that is paid (I use one of RBoy’s other apps, I will say well worth it though), but I also see other options in the search.

CoRE might be overkill, but like using a flamethrower to take out a bee’s nest, it’s a heck of a lot of fun!

@bridaus I was just about to post that same link… Lol

Funny, a little search will take you a long way…

I searched for “thermostat 5-2”. Try it…you might like it!

Nah, not overkill… Just just perfect and the most stable thing around too!

Yeah I guess for simply schedule changes it wouldn’t be too bad.

Actually there are two versions in that first post… The code is there and a link to a paid more advanced version.

You and I, same wavelength, was about to post this: [RELEASE] Unlimited customizable thermostat

Appears RBoy left the original version, which I would suspect is more than good enough for the basics.

2 Likes

I’ve started moving my thermostats over to CoRE…

I created a piston for each one with the schedule based on made changes and days of the week…

A specialized app isn’t going to do any more than that… Unless you have one of those fancy smancy thermostats…

I just use a little ole Honeywell myself… keeps me cold and warm…

I do this with mine, but all based on modes, presence, and motions, no times. My family never ever ever ever ever does anything at the same time.

Mine is the same way… And my family is huge (8 kids + my parents) so my house is never empty… So, it stays cool/warn all of the time… Just different levels of cool and warm

2 Likes

Hmm, I’ll have to check into this.

Honeywell ZWave. Yes; it has an internal scheduler. No, it does not work. I had a ticket open with Honeywell and spoke to their (1) zwave guy who said they know the internal scheduler sucks, but they designed it to be controlled from the hub.

Yes, I already have this SmartApp from when it was free, and it didn’t work well. So either it’s outdated, or ST scheduler system sucks. Or both :slight_smile:

CoRE may be your answer then. And the schedule sucked for a long time, so maybe you should give it one more shot first for simplicity’s sake.

1 Like

This is an interesting concept that I can’t wrap my head around; maybe because it’s just me and my wife at home (no kids yet).

Motion to control thermostat sounds awesome; until there’s no motion during the day and the house warms up to 80. Then when I get home (to a hot house), it finally detects motion and starts to cool the house down, which will take 3 hours (plus an unhappy wife).

Thats why I use timers based on our work routines, but do you suggest another method?

I’m still on hub v1. Is it worth upgrading to hub v2 (for any benefits besides local processing (which from what I read doesn’t show much benefit))?