Wave Hand, Control Lights

Yes, I’ve been doing this for 5 years now. I mention it in the buttons FAQ.

However, in my case it’s set up so one sensor turns on the lights and a different sensor turns them off.

This works well in my situation, but isn’t the same as a gesture light switch. It’s more like a gesture scene controller.

One of the reasons we went this way is most motion sensors have a “cool down” period after motion is detected. So you can’t use one to turn a light on and use the same one to turn it off again during the cool down period, which could be as much as 3 minutes. You could get the Fibaro motion sensor which allows a lot of adjustments, but you’ll use up the battery much faster with a shorter cool down. And there’s the problem of triggering it twice when you didn’t mean to, like as you’re walking away.

So we went with a less expensive sensor with a fairly long cool down period and set it up as a scene controller. :sunglasses:

A TRUE GESTURE CONTROLLER

There is a zwave gesture controller from Fibaro called the swipe. @krlaframboise , who should get a medal for all the great DTHs provided to the community, has a DTH for this one.

[OBSOLETE] Fibaro Swipe

You can get the US version at Amazon for $99

https://www.amazon.com/Fibaro-FGGC-001-Swipe-Gesture-Controller/dp/B01FXJBUWE

And the U.K. version from Vesternet for £125.

(Remember since it’s zwave, you must get the one that matches your hub’s zwave frequency.)

I tried one, but returned it, as my hands shake a lot and I couldn’t operate it consistently. But it’s a fun gadget and practical for some use cases.

They also have my favourite home automation commercial of all time:

1 Like