I setup a watchdog for my sunrise/sunset mode changes after the recent issues. Now I don’t worry about missing these events.
Steps to create:
- Create virtual switch (On/Off Tile). Call it whatever you want, mine is “The Sun”
- If you are not already, sign up for IFTTT, activate SmartThings and Weather Channels.
- Create two recipes, one if sunrise, turn your switch on. One if sunset, turn your switch off.
- You can use the default smartapp “Switch Changes Mode” if the modes you use are simple. Choose the switch you created initially, and the modes you wish to change to/from. You are done!
- Extra credit: If you are like me and have multiple sunrise/sunsets (home and away), install this smartapp as many times as needed. It checks the current mode before running: https://github.com/bridaus/MySmartThings/blob/master/SwitchChangeModeWhileModes
Hope this helps someone!
- In theory this is not needed, but it’s nice to use automation to double-check automation, especially if it’s a more critical function for your home.
- The weather channel in IFTTT says that their recipes will run within “15” minutes of sunrise/sunset for your location. Mine has been within 10 minutes of the ST sunrise/sunset so far, so that checks out. YMMV.