Waste of money

I have sensors outside under an eve and they are stuck on with outdoor Command Strips. Never has one come off. And 20,000 on your house, then you must live in the WhiteHouse. 99% of my 2350 sq house is automated and I am no where near that amount. I have leak, valves, alarm, power monitoring and lighting and power control. I also have cameras.

2 Likes

same here two houses with over 100 devices each… maybe spent 3k per house

Well when you add smart appliances it’s easy to run up the bill…

1 Like

Over Xmas, I gave an Echo Dot to a couple we are friendly with. They proceeded to not do anything with it. When we asked why, the response was “well we don’t have everything yet so we haven’t started”.

I was bewildered by that comment. I proceeded to go to their house and set it up for them, and show them how just the Dot by itself could be very useful and how integrating its lists with Todoist on their phones could make it even more useful. Guess I just don’t grasp the mindset that says “we must make a major investment in this or not bother doing it”. It’s completely natural to me for something like this to start small and build up. It’s also much more manageable that way.

2 Likes

@afterburn25… And if you think you have a sticky situation…Here is a preview of things to come…

1 Like

Oh man…

You are replying to a post which is four years old, and much has changed in that time, for both better and worse.

It gets pretty confusing if people keep bringing back up old threads unless there something specifically relevant, so for now it would be best to stick to threads which have had activity in the last year, unless you’re sure it’s still relevant. Thanks.

2 Likes

This was an interesting read seeing how far some things have moved on and how some things never change. They must have changed the glue on those sticky pads cos I’ve moved mine around a few times and it still tries to take half the door off with it. Being relatively new to the whole smart home thing with my first device in 2019 being a £1 echo dot 3 in a PrimeDay promo, a lucky glitch the next day got me another £1 dot then cheap colour bulbs but once I found out some bulbs sync with music I knew I needed those in my life! It taught me it’s always worth looking out for offers and discounts and price glitches and occasionally even just being a little cheeky and asking nicely for discounts and freebies. At worst they say no so you’ve nothing to lose. I could never have afforded full retail price for all my bits n bobs and so for planB my personal home disco setup would have been made using an egg box, the inside of a toilet roll, some coloured pens and tissue paper for decorating, some sticky back plastic and an empty washing up bottle. :dancer: (Good luck finding toilet roll tho, those panic buying fools ruining my disco)

1 Like

omg, just one question… 20k, how? I mean, I see where you spent all your money, however the whole experience with these $20k is not very positive overall. Sometimes not all of the smart things we buy are reliable and actually worth purchasing. I would rather by something not that expensive, but proved to be reliable and qualitative. On the other hand, I was so enthusiastic about all the samsung smartthings when they were launched, I’ve even found myself some side hustles to buy all those things. The first thing I bought was Roomba, love this robot.

It’s detailed above in the thread, the person spent $10,000 on smart appliances, which is easy to do. Samsung‘s “family hub“ smart refrigerator costs over $4500 for some models.

Ok this was 4 years ago much has changed since then as an update I have spent even more than 20k initially posted. I have done away with the smart light bulbs as they have proven to be unreliable. I switched to the smart switches only wish I thought of that before spending $800 on light bulbs. I also have the Roomba s9 as well as the brava jet mop. and even a Husqvarna auto mower to mow my yard. and today they are installing solar panels on my home. it is quite easy to to spend a lot of money on smart stuff

1 Like