Warning: DTHs set to run locally, when used with incompatible devices, may cause local rules to not behave as expected. If this occurs, remove the local flags, re-publish the DTH, and re-save the rule

Warning: DTHs set to run locally, when used with incompatible devices, may cause local rules to not behave as expected. If this occurs, remove the local flags, re-publish the DTH, and re-save the rule.

Just showed up in the IDE. It appeared on a custom DTH… If this means that custom DTHs can run locally, I am going to get quite excited :wink: Tagging @krlaframboise because it is your DTH.

I’ve been seeing that for a few days, or even a week or two (I’ve lost track of time). It appeared at the same time, or shortly after the related message you see when editing devices (which the IDE is making a pigs ear of at the moment, changes to e.g. device names appear in the REST API but not in the IDE).

I read it as a warning not to set the local flags on a custom DTH unless you are just messing around with the metadata on a stock DTH and leaving the business end unchanged.

It is a lot more critical with local execution of Rules imminent.

2 Likes

I read it the same way - reinforcing an unwritten rule that’s always existed. About once a year someone comes up with a post about making DTH’s local by ‘just adding the flags’ This warning would specifically indicate that’s a bad idea.

3 Likes

I just noticed that today on a DTH for Dome Siren from @krlaframboise … where in the code is this flag so I can un-set it?

That message is displayed on all custom DTHs and none of my handlers use that attribute…

1 Like

FYI, I’ll be releasing a new handler soon for the Dome Siren that’s designed for Automations, but the device will need to be removed and joined again to use it.

3 Likes

Kevin,

Regarding [quote=“krlaframboise, post:6, topic:227100”]
FYI, I’ll be releasing a new handler soon for the Dome Siren that’s designed for Automations, but the device will need to be removed and joined again to use it.
[/quote], I just check GitHub today and I am still seeing the Dome Siren v1.3.1 Have you a status on the new update referenced above. Thank you.

I haven’t had a chance to create the new forum topic for it yet, but I’ve posted the code here.

The new handler is completely different so you need to remove the device and the old handler and then join the device.

What is the dome siren?

Hi Derek,

You can read about the Dome Siren here. It is a great device for security, made even greater with Kevin’s device handler. It uses the z-wave protocol and has 3 volume levels (up to 105 dB) and 10 alarm/chimes. I use the chimes to alert me when any door is opened. I have a video on how to set the chimes up here.

1 Like

Thanks for that Info, Bud!

That’s a really good video, but with the new handler you can access all the features from the device details screen and Automations so that workaround is no longer necessary.

Hopefully ST doesn’t break this at some point, but currently the actions in Automations get executed in order so you can completely customize the chime for each automation.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin. Yes I’ve installed the device handler and have created an automation for my door chimes. You did a nice job on this current revision. I greatly appreciate your fine work.

1 Like