Want to Know Who's leaving the house

I have roommates, which are on different schedules and I want to know when they leave the house and who it was that left the house. I’m not really wanting to give them any kind of device for them to carry(presence sensor). I have the Yale Key-less deadbolt that will tell me who comes in by which code is enter.

Any Help would be great.
Thanks

Do they each have a smart phone and are they willing to install an app that you ask them to?

And are you in the US or the UK?

I think it can probably be done just from keycode reporting from your lock for arrivals, but those don’t report on departures.

1 Like

I wonder if this can be forced…

At least with the Schlage Connect, it looks like there is an option to require a PIN code to lock the door from the outside. A bit of a bother … but… it would track one person who is leaving…

1 Like

The lock and leave feature will work if everyone uses it every time and only one person leaves at a time.

If two people leave together, the lock and leave feature cannot capture that while other Geopresence methods can.

2 Likes

If they have smartphones, I highly suggest life360 to add to your ST system. They can turn off location sharing so it’s not so creepy…

2 Likes

I’m in the US. Yes they have smartphones. Probably the only way they would download LIFE360 is if it would unlock the door automatically without using their pass-code. And I still would think they wouldn’t be in favor of that app cause I think they would still think I was wanting to stock them, even with the the GPS location setting off I have the Yale Security YRD240-NR-605. I have the feature turned on to make the deadbolt automatically lock after 1 minute.

Ok, you can have them set up a free IFTTT account for themselves that sends your Ifttt an email or text when their phone leaves or enter your house region.

It won’t track them anywhere else, and you won’t have to give them access to your smartthings account.

There’s a limit on the total number of texts you could have sent from IFTTT each month, so I don’t know if they might hit that limit. There’s no limit on emails, but there’s a longer lag before your account processes it.

So that would catch them coming and going without tracking them anywhere else, but there might be a 15 minute lag because of how IFTTT handles emails. So I don’t know if that fits your needs.

This method catches departures as well as arrivals and counts each person separately so if two leave at the same time you get notification for both. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Do your roommates’ phones connect to your wifi when they are home? If so, there may be a way to monitor this without requiring any software on their phones.

1 Like

Not sure if any of the lock code managers track this. There is tracking of unlock with code.

ANother option is to look into Beacons or tracking if there device is on the wifi

1 Like

For answering the question about “do my roommates phones connect to my wifi” One of them does not and the other, I’m not for sure.

how about sending you a pic of the door when it opens? would need a camera and a door sensor. problem is that half the time you’d be staring at the back of their (and your) heads when they arrive

I honestly think the keyfob may be the best answer. Nothing to install on their phones and you could make the argument about it unlocking the door. It does no tracking, so no real privacy concerns

1 Like

We do this without any ST - just as a way to track our nanny’s hours. I get home, it sends a message to my wife, she uses that to know when the nanny stopped working. If you want to track both leaving and coming, I think you’ll need two different ifttt’s - otherwise you’ll just capture the single state change.

Yes, you’ll need two different IFTTT recipes, one for leaving and one for arriving. :sunglasses:

But it’s free, it doesn’t require an extra device as long as the person has a smart phone, it can track two or three people even if they all leave at the same time. All good.

The biggest downside is IFTTT lag. This varies from one account to another, but receiving an email as an IFTTT trigger can take up to 15 minutes. That works fine for some use cases, but not for others. If you can use text messages, they are typically processed much more quickly.

1 Like