Wall uplighting (UK)

Hi, I’ve been looking for a good wall uplighting solution for my living room which doesn’t involve Philips Hue (Bloom or Go) and I’m thinking of buying this Zemismart downlight and fitting into some housing which I can place on the floor behind my sofa.

The listing says Zigbee 3.0 and also that it works with ST so I’m assuming no issues connecting directly to ST.

Second, if anyone is aware of projects with this or similar lights where people have done the same thing to use as an uplighter then I’d appreciate being pointed in their direction for inspiration :slight_smile:

Many thanks!


1 Like

You’re in the UK, right? I ask because the device selection does vary somewhat.

Sorry yes I was supposed to mention and then forgot! In the UK…

The only other option I’ve come across is to get a cheap and simple table spotlight lamp from IKEA and stick an RGB bulb in it but that would be the same price or more expensive than the Zemismart option and it seems the Zemismart light can get quite bright which for wall uplighting will be better than a single bulb I would have thought.

I don’t know of anyone who has tried to use a DownLight as an uplight: the dispersion pattern is different on the downlights, and I don’t think you’re going to get the effect you want. Plus the wiring is going to be complex and definitely not childsafe or even waterproof unless you put it inside a box and raise it up off the floor, essentially like a planter box, and that’s going to add cost and complexity.

I’m not saying you can’t do it, I’m just saying I don’t know anyone who has. :wink:

I didn’t think the wiring would be complex actually, I should be able to wire it up to a standard UK power cable and put most of the wiring and connections inside whatever housing I use. Where it plan to put it the kids can’t get to and neither does it need to be waterproof.

The dispersion pattern may be more of an issue I guess but with a naked light bulb I’d have the issue of the light potentially not dispersing enough and to light a wall or section of wall I need it to spread rather than be narrow.