Wall Touchscreen Controller

ActionTiles is primarily meant as a “SmartThings controller”, rather than a “home screen” or “portal”; but obviously these use cases make sense.

The latest version of Fully has made App launching easier, as far as I can tell, with this Topic in our Forum containing the latest info:

I’m playing with it right now.

2 Likes

For me, the cost of AT ($30) for 1 location is very reasonable.

I got lucky and picked up 6 x Fire 7 Tablets for $20 each. I also have a couple of Fire 8s and a couple of Fire 10s that I also purchased cheap on Prime Day.

Got an enterprise license for Fully and have all the touch screen I need…Well…:rofl::rofl:

Walk up to them and they come to life. So cool!

I was able to mount them for about $3 each!

Just can’t see how anything else can compete.

2 Likes

Thanks, Rontalley! Appreciate your … appreciation of our work and app.

Drop us a rating and share a few words on our Facebook Reviews page if you get a chance:

https://www.facebook.com/ActionTiles/reviews

1 Like

And I am now in day 2 of my Trial. I had an old Samsung Note that was gathering dust. Now, thanks to two 3M Command Strips my Note is my SmartThings Control Panel. So far I love it. Now I just need to ensure my wife does too :grin:

2 Likes

Check out the video i made, it might help with this type of project.

3 Likes

What mounting mechanism are you using?

Good old fashion Velcro. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Sugru is good, too. :sunglasses: Costs a little more than Velcro, but it doesn’t actually stick to the tablet so you can take it off the wall whenever you want and there’s no change to the tablet.

2 Likes

OK, cool. Thanks.
How to you attach it to the wall…staples, or just whatever sticky stuff it has on the other side? I assume you then use the sticky side of the other part on the tablet.

I’m glad you mentioned this stuff.
I’ve seen it on Amazon, and thought it might be cool, but just haven’t ever tried it yet.

If you’ve used it yourself, how do you attach it to the wall?
Do you create a mount that has screw holes, or what (I’m off to check that link now…)?

Yeah, I just use the sticky stuff. It’s not coming off of the tablets easily at all. I wipe the walls with alcohol before sticking the Velcro on. I guess it would be a good idea to mechanically secure the Velcro to the wall but I haven’t had to in my experience.

IMG_0856IMG_0863

1 Like

We use it, it’s amazing. :sunglasses: No screw holes or anything – – it just sticks to a lot of different stuff. And holds. It’s a soft rubber that starts out with the consistency of playdough and then over 24 hours hardens to, well, rubber. I liked it so much I gave a starter pack to my fix-it guy who now uses it all the time. The cost is 2 to 3 dollars per pack depending on color and quantity. Each pack holds a single piece a little bigger than a marble.

My favorite project report is about using tennis balls as hooks on the wall for things like shoes.

IMG_4875

I was introduced to sugru by the Naran Push microbots, as it’s their recommended way of attaching the microbot to curved surfaces. We use one on the blender and it’s held up great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VXJM58/

4 Likes

That wiring is against electrical code, and really not safe. It looks like you just wired an extension cord plug onto an AC line and shoved the charger into the wall?

All connections to high voltage AC lines need to be in an approved electrical box to prevent fires from shorts. Also, the “wall-wart” chargers are prone to overheating and sometimes igniting, especially if they’re kept in a confined space.

I recommend installing a recessed wall outlet as shown in a previous video on this thread. You already have the wire and hole. I would just cost a few bucks for the outlet box, and it would be much safer.

P.S. I’m considering building a SmartThings controller for my house. There’s alot of good ideas in this thread, just don’t burn your house down cutting a few corners. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Multiple manufacturers offer power extension kits for wall mounted TVs. I do not know if these meet code, but they are a commercialized solution also sold directly to DIY consumers, so I am assuming have passed some rules.

Here’s two examples at random. (I don’t endorse any particular brand or model.)

https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Wiremold-Screen-Cable-Power/dp/B006K3CM4S

https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-TVBRA2K-1-Wiring-Pre-Wired-Bridge/dp/B00AAU5GZ4

The difference with those is that there are no connections inside the wall (and not in a junction box). Those products exist exactly to stay within code.

2 Likes

So… You’re saying “in general” (local code’s may vary…), it is OK to run an extension cord in your wall, as long as both ends of the cord are terminated outside of the wall (and there are no non-code interconnects along the cord). Right?

That sounds fine to me. It makes a “clean” mount a little extra difficult because a recessed or non-recessed connection outside the wall is difficult to hide … but understandably necessary for safety.

I’m not an electrician, and yes codes differ from place but running an extension cord through the wall is not okay even if the ends are not hidden in the wall - those cords are not rated for in-wall use. Those kits should be using cables that are rated for in-wall use (ie, Romex).

2 Likes

Not sure if “Romex” is the only qualified option, but you’re otherwise correct.

Indeed, here’s another such kit, that appears to be safety certified:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GWGZGQ4/

‘eg’ would have been the right phrase, not ‘ie.’

1 Like

Yeah I know. The hole was cut for a recessed box and I actually installed it. The problem was, I could fit the USB adapter and the USB connector in the box without the tablet sticking out.

I took it out and was going to just put in a remodel deep single gang plastic box with the same setup.

At least that was the plan…

However, it’s not an extension cable running through the wall. I actually used Romex through the wall and just tied in a heavy duty equipment cord to it where the box was initially.