Voice Feedback Though Speakers

I am using a smartthings open close sensor to send me a notification when the mailbox is opened that says “Your mail has been delivered” but I want it to come over a speaker in my house. Here is my only solution so far, get an old iphone (or android) and turn on spoken notifications under accessibility settings (or download an app on android) then attach this phone to a speaker(s) and keep it on all day long, therefore when the notification comes up it reads it out loud, this is all well and good but I would have to have a speaker(s) dedicated to nothing but speaking notifications, and I would also have to buy a bunch of phones/have an always charging solution… anyway I was wondering if anyone could think of something smarter maybe using IFTTT? Please feel free to think outloud/submit incomplete ideas maybe it will spark someone else mind to finish it!

If you end up going down the dedicated phone route, you can use SharpTools with Android to make it really easy to have your phone speak the current status of different device events. You could even use it to control your device with your voice and/or use it as a dashboard in addition to having it act as an annunciator.

If you have a Sonos, Ubi, or VLC Thing, you can use Big Talker by @rayzurbock

I’m using an Ubi for my notifications. It does voice and will play an mp3 also for notifications. So I use mp3’s for mail, doorbell(jetsons) and door open closet makes the house much more warmer having a sound play for an event. I use voice for things like presence sensor arrivals and text readout. The Ubi has a headphone jack so should be able to easily be wired into your home speakers.

I am using a smartthings open close sensor to send me a notification when the mailbox is opened that says “Your mail has been delivered” but I want it to come over a speaker in my house. Here is my only solution so far, get an old iphone (or android) and turn on spoken notifications under accessibility settings (or download an app on android) then attach this phone to a speaker(s) and keep it on all day long, therefore when the notification comes up it reads it out loud, this is all well and good but I would have to have a speaker(s) dedicated to nothing but speaking notifications, and I would also have to buy a bunch of phones/have an always charging solution… anyway I was wondering if anyone could think of something smarter maybe using IFTTT? Please feel free to think outloud/submit incomplete ideas maybe it will spark someone else mind to finish it! THANKS!

Take a look at this thread. May help.

2 Likes

It looks like this is a duplicate of the thread in Devices and Integrations, but I responded over there:

Perhaps @April could merge these threads?

1 Like

done. Cheers, thanks for letting me know.

Hi, I’ve created smartapp voice-notifications that lets you say any message using device with voice synthesiser comptibility.

I’m using it with mac and HAM Bridge and command say "Welcome"
If someone isinterested I can share apple script I’m using to make speech it more reliable (e.g. pausing iTunes, unmuting etc.)

1 Like