VLC Thing. A Poor Man's Sonos. Version 2.0 Released 12/22/2016

More likely, we are losing some free development.

To amount of effort and educational value of the various projects varies considerably. Open source developers have a variety of motivations, but any number of factors can make the project more trouble than pleasure.

Definitely not implying that Geko or every open source developer is suddenly seeking or would find new motivation with a revenue model; everyone’s concerns and priorities are different.

But it is a fact that SmartThings has been promising a revenue channel (“Marketplace”) for nearly 3 years.

Why would a developer put the time into making and supporting a for-proffit app if the platform they are developing for is not stable? With paying customers come angry phone calls when stuff doesn’t work. :smile:

Anyway, I don’t want to totally hijack this thread, but I do hope that ST priorities are first to make the platform stable, and second to build a marketplace.

Edit: I should change “I do hope” to “I do hope and believe

1 Like

That’s a great idea! :smile:

1 Like

I thought the clipping was caused by VLC Thing sending the “stop” command to VLC too early because when press replay on VLC. The file plays normal with no clipping. I am not a coder but changing line 365
actions << delayHubAction((duration + 1) * 1000)
to actions << delayHubAction((duration + 1) * 5000) fix the clipping for me so far. Maybe ST is playing with me.

This was fixed in version 1.2.1.

Sorry, I didn’t know. So the clipping is not the only issue? Thought I read all the posts above.

@geko I want to say thanks for your hard work on this and other SmartApps that a lot of us have been using. I’m sure this particular one has been a huge source of thankless frustration and I totally understand dropping it. Still, you’ve worked hard here and elsewhere and you’ve helped a lot of people out.

Thanks man, the only reason ST is worth a damn is because of people like yourself.

3 Likes

this isn’t the only app that was affected by an introduced bug. i see other postings of people complaining that they can’t get timers to work properly.

In any event @geko, it will be a shame not to have you working on this going forward. This was going to be my next project. I already have ordered a Raspberry pi 2 to give my house a voice. And now will be out of luck.

I’ll continue supporting VLC Things when the platform issues are resolved. The audio clipping issue has been resolved, but the issues with saving DNI and configuration settings are still not resolved.

i saw a posting by smartthings saying that they did a software update on their backend that fixed an issue with the timing. evidently anything less than sixty seconds, who knew what was going to happen. It was affecting not only this app, but the wait times on a custom greeter using your vlc thing. I was also having the light flasher app fail because the flashes were instant unless i set the wait to insane amounts. In fact, pretty much every app i have including hue notify was jacked up by this. The time on worked properly but it was storing the previous color at the wrong time so the return colors would be wrong.

1 Like

dni?
what’s that stand for

DNI = Device Network ID.

i never had any issues with it forgetting any of the vlc settings.

The “forgotten settings” issue does not affect Android users.

I know there has been many replies around the clipping issues, and they have been resolved, but im getting some serious clip and was wondering if this is seen by any of you. This is a fantastic piece of work BTW.

Regards,

Keiran

I know this is from an old post, but I am having a similar issue. I get the error groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: options for class: physicalgraph.device.HubMultiAction, when calling a my device handler.

I was hoping you could provide some insight as to what the issue was and what was done resolve it?

I think I had to flatten the command list:

actions = actions.flatten()

Thanks for the reply. in the smartapp or the device handler? I’m already flattening the actions map…

Hello. Thanks for your work and for continuing to update the app. Did you make progress on getting sonos mood music to control the vlc thing correctly? It lets me pick a song from the VLC queue / library, and sends the command to vlc thing, but the song never plays in vlc. Custom text notifications and other things from the sonos notify with sound app work.