VLAN on home network?

Not necessarily ST related, but I figured some folks on here might have something like this set up. Would there be a bandwidth advantage to putting my Security Camera NVR on a VLAN? I’m using a TP-LINK A20, and have discovered how to use VLC to transcode RTSP to MJPEG so I can send cam video to a webpage on a tablet. I’m assuming the video won’t be downloading unless I open the webpage, but how advantageous would it be to have more than one network? I’m mildly network-knowledgeable, having recently learned to go from converting my A20 from a AP-setup (behind my DSL modem) to having the DSL modem transfer DHCP control to the A20 so that I can monitor and control devices through the A20’s software. There’s three desktop computers on the home network, four Echos, four smart TVs (two are wireless), four cellphones, A Nintendo switch, thermostat, and some wireless laptops. Would it behoove me to create some separate networks?

My ultimate plan is to put a Raspberry pi in the network to transcode the NVR RTSP to MJPEG so that the videostream is available to a tablet on demand, but I don’t want it streaming all the time. I have an 8-bay switch for most of this stuff in the center of my house, but I’m considering putting the NVR and Pi on a separate switch. I’m also seeing terms such as multicasting and webcasting, but not sure how to set those up, or if it’s even necessary.

Unless you are using an app to view your cams, you’re likely working within your LAN. Most apps run in the cloud for cams, but if you’re just pulling them up in a browser, with the address an internal address, that should keep local.
Yes, that still uses your router, but you’re not actually downloading anything. I do this with a Blue Iris server.

As far as the VLAN, many people like to move home automation and security over to help increase network security. Cheap cams like to “call home” to foreign servers a bit too much. An easier way to block them is to setup parental permissions in your router to limit their external calls.

Only if it you have a lot of broadcasts on your network and it’s sensitive to network broadcasts . VLAN’s will breakup/segment a broadcast domain. Shy of that there is no real bandwidth advantage.

I would just like to be able to walk up to the tablet, press an icon, and have the cam feed show up for a quick check (like if I hear a noise outside). It’s already connected to my Smart TV by HDMI, but it would be nice to access it from elsewhere in the house without having to pull my phone out and using the app.

I use blue iris which also links quite nicely with actiontiles. Should accomplish what you’re aiming flr.

1 Like

That looks nice, but does it show the camera feed all the time? I don’t want to flood my network. I was hoping to have a tile that I could press that would show the feed (either in Actiontiles or in a browser), and my hope is that when I close the window, the stream will stop.

And I found a thread on the Actiontiles that showed how to transcode with VLC, so I was going to run VLC on a Pi and do it that way for now. I guess I’ll have to get off my butt and hook it up and then monitor my network traffic.

no problem for flooding network. going from my pic above, I click on ‘security’ which then shows the ‘cam dock’. only when I highlight one of ‘front’,‘inside’ or ‘back’ does the cam feeds show.

blue iris integration with actiontiles is awesome.

and it’s far faster than opening the mobile app for BI (which I’ve used for about 5 years).