Visonic Door/Window Sensors $10

Based on the traffic they have gotten from Slickdeals on this deal, could be Smartthings is over looking it due to an uptick in hub sales. LOL. Sounds like that had thousands of some of the devices to sell.

1 Like

I actually contact the seller (they were active in the Slickdeals thread) and linked to the original post here about the use of name. They acknowledged and updated the listing, slightly.

In any event, I too was skeptical but decided to bite the bullet. And boy was I pleasantly surprised. I needed 25 window Sensors. These things are tiny, and the magnet was slim enough to fit on my double hung windows. This means that moving either window will trigger the sensor. I was first worried that I would need two per window, or need to buy some slim neodynium magnets.

If you are still on the fence, take the jump. I should probably post this in the other threads. At $11a sensor, Iā€™m tempted to buy more and stick them on cabinets, drawer, ALL THE THINGS!!

I ordered the dimming plugs. They actually paired with SmartThings instantly; it was the easiest pairing Iā€™ve ever done.

The company accidentally sent me two of the contact sensors originally. I informed them of the error, and they sent the plugs with a prepaid return envelope.

Which devices are they selling that fail to work with ST?

I believe itā€™s not that they donā€™t work with ST per se, itā€™s just that the retailer is using the ā€œworks with STā€ logo, which has implications re: assurance it definitely works and support from ST if it doesnā€™t. And maybe a copyright issue too, or something.

1 Like

Just how many topic threads do we really need on these; a new one every couple of days?!

Mods, can they all be merged together???

2 Likes

Basically to get these to work, someone had to create a DTH with a modified fingerprint, so it doesnā€™t work out of the box and they didnā€™t work directly with ST to get it working out of the box and secure internal agreements about interoperability, in my estimation.

Simplest way of saying it is that the phrase, ā€˜Works With SmartThingsā€™ is sort of a ā€˜seal of approvalā€™.

A product maker or seller canā€™t simply grant themselves another companyā€™s seal of approval (thatā€™s not how industry works).

The only way to get said ā€˜seal of approvalā€™ is by the company whose seal it is (in this case, SmartThings) giving it to you/your product (and/or, in some cases, by meeting a certain set of specific requirements).

e.g. You canā€™t just paint a yellow arch on your building, and have a clown with red hair handing out free hamburger samples on the sidewalk, and say that youā€™ve opened a new McDonaldā€™s franchise (again, thatā€™s not how industry works).

2 Likes

To clarify one last time EVERYONE we were literally simply saying it works with Samsung Smartthings. Iā€™m not sure you can copywriter a term like that but anyhow we changed everything to say ā€œFor Samsung Smartthingsā€. We were not trying to act like these are some Samsung sponsered product. So letā€™s stop beating this dead horse.

MyDigitalDiscount

We built some condos back in 2005 and they listed them for $235K. Only 25% sold within the first year. They raised the price to $350K and they all sold out within 4 monthsā€¦Took me a while to grasp thatā€¦

Guess if they price was $30 and had Works with Samsung SmartThings and it was on the approved device list, they would be worth it then right. :joy:

Sorry to beat the horse.

1 Like

:joy: spot on. Also I donā€™t mind the conversation but just the accusations about the intent of the original materials. Iā€™ll toss one other thing out there as proof we had zero intentions of steeling any Samsung thunder. It said ā€œworks with Samsung SmartThingsā€. That isnā€™t even the phrase we are talking about. The official Samsung phrase is ā€œWorks With SmartThingsā€

Yet out of the box they donā€™t work with SmartThings. Until called on it you had the SmartThings Logo all over the listing. So I think coming in here claiming innocence and that you had no intention of deceiving people is about the same as OJā€™s claim of innocence.

1 Like

Yes but they work with Samsung SmartThings. That is what we were saying not sure how many times I have to say that. We have no intention on deceiving anyone we even posted a blog post on how to instal the product on SmartThings and included it in the descriptions. How would you guys suggest we inform that these products work with Samsung SmartThings?

1 Like

:joy: This made my day! Man I love you @RLDreams!

2 Likes

First off, I never accused you of anything. So, for my part, Iā€™m just an objective viewer here.

As for whether or not you ā€˜intendedā€™ to deceive anyone, while good to know, personally (i.e. I can accept your statement at face value, and leave it at that), itā€™s irrelevant when it comes to what is legally required in the industry and the marketplace.

Perhaps a different phrase, such as, ā€˜Can be made to work with SmartThings with minimal effort and manual user configuration of freely available third-party Device Handlerā€™ (or the shorter, non-OCD version of that statement) would satisfy all (official, bystanders, observers, potential customers) parties. :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha thatā€™s a bit overkill there. Iā€™m thinking the shortest easiest thing to say is ā€œfor Samsung SmartThingsā€. Keep it simple. We already make it extremely clear in the listings that it requires a SmartThings hub and the device handler with full instructions. We have also started putting a sticker with a link to the blog post with instructions right on each box.

Points have been, action has been taken. Letā€™s get back to the fun stuff.

1 Like

I understand.

Youā€™re trying to make money; not friends.

Youā€™re attempting to earn cash; not a good reputation among industry leaders and their customer base.

Itā€™s all good.

1 Like

I went ahead about bought a couple of these. I installed Tomasā€™ device type prior to pairing. They paired instantly and were recognized as Visonic Door/Window Sensor. They work great so far and you canā€™t beat the price.

1 Like

I ordered a couple. Using the DTH in the instructions, they paired quickly. I like the size of the sensors. Iā€™ll be curious to see how long the battery lasts.

2 Likes

I for one appreciate you being here, and being willing to suffer the slings and arrows a bit to clarify your position.

2 Likes