Version 2.7.1 what are "so hero tiles"?

(Ron) #1

The release notes for 2.7.1, second item
– fix so hero tiles in rooms show the slider and color picker.

What the heck?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

Hero Tiles are the single “big” Tile (Thing) at the top of each Room (A list of Things).

(Ron) #3

Haha, OK not it’s readable… Thanks

(Not Dexter) #4

Is this iOS only? I don’t see them in the Android app, but I’ve seen them in screenshots.

Edit: Nevermind. The star in room settings makes a device a hero. :grin:

I think you have to go into room settings and select the star next to the device in order for it to be displayed as a “hero tile”

I had the same question. I guess I refer to them as favorites.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #7

Thirty plus years in the IT industry but obviously not in Web design, lol. I had no idea.

My calling them favorites comes from how you select which is to be the ‘hero’ tile. Usually clicking a star icon sets a ‘favorite.’ All semantics I know.

(Ron) #9

Same here 30+ years but had not idea what this term meant. I think we are just getting old :wink:

(John C) #10

Well, I’ll be damned! Just tried it for the first time…

What is the use/demand for this feature? Just ordering the list within the room seems Plenty Good Enough.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #11
  1. It’s flashy. UI designer needed to earn his keep.

2. It’s direct access to a rich Tile without drill down into a Things sub-tiles (ie, dimmer control, video feed, etc, etc).

(Ron) #12

Weird part is I tend to ignore my “Hero” tile because it’s different. So I scan the room looking for my missing device then I remember it’s the HUGE one on the top HAHA

I use it to display the IP camera for a room if I have one in there(ie garage).

This way, I can select the garage room, and quickly see if there is an obstacle before closing the garage remotely. Or, if the front door is standing wide open before I lock it…

Also, for trendsetter, I use it to display the group light at the top, and all the sub lights in the group below it.