V2 hub bricked after following ST support advice (March 2019)

Actually…

By late 2017, most DIY hubs Offered a back up/restore feature that could also be used for migration. Wink is a really good example, but there are many others. So many, in fact, that Vesternet dinged Homey for not having this:

Athom Homey REVIEW - One Home Automation Controller to RULE THEM ALL! – Vesternet

There’s also several glaring omissions in functionality, some of which we’ve already mentioned which maybe aren’t so serious, but others that would almost seem crazy to be missing - for example there’s no way currently to do a backup and restore of your Homey system! So if your Homey suffers a hardware fault or some other failure and you need to get a replacement, or perhaps you’d like to revert to a configuration “checkpoint” before something started going wrong, you have ZERO capability in this area.
Come on guys, even the FREE open-source non-commercial Smart Home software like Domoticz has that functionality, but Homey doesn’t!

And that review is over a year old now.

1 Like

Ain’t that something. Did you read that ^^^ Samsung Gods? :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

Fibaro’s Hub Even lets you restore from your choice of multiple backups, and let you designate cloud or local for each.

https://manuals.fibaro.com/knowledge-base-browse/creating-and-restoring-backup/

And vera does an automatic daily backup:

https://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/2942545-working-with-backup-settings

And you can specifically use that to migrate to new hub:

https://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2942693-how-to-migrate-to-verasecure-veraedge-or-veraplus?b_id=712

All your scenes, plugins and devices from your legacy Vera3/Lite controller are now restored and ready to use on your new VeraSecure controller.

2 Likes

Go Z-Wave my friends :slight_smile: @johnconstantelo you might reconsider. Who knows one day Zigbee might offer a similar feature. …wait, wait… @JDRoberts will find it…

It’s already there for zigbee. See, for example, wink. It doesn’t work for some of their specialty models, but it does work to upgrade from the wink gen one to gen 2.

Z wave, zigbee, and Lutron transfer although the lutron devices require a tap pattern on the individual switches as well.

Once the transfer is complete, your Wink Hub 2 will assume the connected products, automations, and basic settings associated with the original Wink Hub.

1 Like

No, No, No way. I’m watching the firmware thread, and thank goodness I’m not impacted. I’ve literally had zero problems now that I’m down to just 28 zwave devices. I should have done this a long time ago.

4 Likes

I have already begun the process by purchasing a v3 hub. However trying to delete the existing setup and introduce an new hub has not been straight forward. I had to start using the ST connect app as I have been using the classic app. To add the hub was a simple matter of logging in and pointing my phone at the qr code. However, that is where the problems started. Obviously, with a dead hub I couldn’t exclude or remove devices properly. So I had to delete them one by one in the IDE. Once completed I thought it would be easy to remove my old hub - nope! When I try to delete it, it throws an internal server error! I just can’t get rid of it. I suppose I could create a brand new Samsung account. In addition, about 50% of the SmartThings devices won’t reset. The smart outlets(uk) refuse to reset and pair with the new hub. Some of the old multisensors won’t reset as the small button fails to work. Two of the motion sensors have the same problem, the reset button doesn’t work. It’s a case of low quality manufacturing. The remaining ST motion sensors and multisensors work ok. I have only managed to pair one Zwave device, an Aeon gen 5 sensor. All my popp and tkbhome plug in switches and dimmers are not found after a factory reset and then setting in inclusion mode. I have yet to tackle the Aeon dimmer units mounted in the ceiling. I have spent too much time looking up device manuals to figure out the button pushes to reset the devices ready for inclusion. The only reliable devices are the Philips hue lights and bridge.

This episode has highlighted a major issue when you are heavily invested in one system i.e., ST. It has no means of backing up the system, no migration tools and you have to be self sufficient as relying on product support is fundamentally flawed. It’s a bit like insurance companies, you only find out how good they are when you really need them.
I am now considering reducing my ST footprint and spreading the automation across several systems.
At least if you have several systems that can integrate via one hub, if one system fails you will at least retain some functionality. Having everything connected and controlled exclusively by ST causes a major headache if it fails. Lesson learned here.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your ordeal!

For what it is worth, I looked and your original hub hasn’t communicated with our update servers in the last 30 days (as far back as I can see). If you are blocking port 11111 this might explain that.

I also removed your original hub. It was blocked from being deleted due to two virtual device records which needed to be deleted first.

1 Like

I tried to delete those two virtual devices but they seemed persistent!

Just to be sure I have added a NAT rule in my router for the port you mentioned. I assign all my devices an IP address in my router as that way when things go down, DHCP doesn’t reassign new address and the local devices can quickly reconnect. If I can ping the hub surely that port must be open in my router?