Utilitech Glass Break Detector (New DTH in post 90)

For those still struggling to get these to work (and as a reminder for myself), you can reset these devices by leaving the batteries in and pressing the outside button 5 times, about one press per second. I had three that I couldn’t get paired and that fixed all of them.

3 Likes

BTW, after you do that, you are going to see blinking followed by a long blink before the light goes out. Wait until all the activity on the lights has stopped, then press the button once and it will start blinking a few times with a pause and then repeat. At that point, you can pair the device. It will only stay in that mode for maybe 15-30 seconds, so if it doesn’t pick up the first time, just press the button a single time to get it searching again.

2 Likes

I know that at one time the Utilitech Glass Break detector was being worked on by some in the community but I don’t think a device type was ever developed to work with ST. I really think this is a device that really goes well with the new app and the services model that ST is rolling out. Glass break detection is a key element in securing the home. I have two of these and tried to get them in ST and I can get ST to pick them up but only as a z-wave sensor. I cannot do anything with them in the app let alone know if they are working. This would be a very important integration. Anyone working on a device type for these?

That code does nothing that I can tell for a device type. I have used it but still have nothing more than a tile that says zwave sensor with no activity even with glass breakage. No way to test the item within the app to know that it works.

I was just hoping to use Shock Sensors with adjustable sensitivity (or SmartSense Multi).

Cheap shock sensors on Monoprice…

Does this help:

1 Like

It is not too difficult to test most real glassbreaks with practice, without special testers. Sometimes just jingling keys “works” but probably only for an old device - it may also just be indicating the device is listening but won’t alarm without the second factor. Most new devices require low frequency and simultaneous high frequency sound. So stomping your foot and making a loud “PSHEW” sound can put it in alarm.

It should also send a tamper signal when the cover is off.

I just set mine off with a big sneeze yesterday. Maybe the dishwasher or AC provided the low frequency component.

I’ve had three of these glass sensors for several months and recently decided I would test their effectiveness. I purchased the Honeywell FG-701 and have ran several tests with it. I have not been able to trip any of the three with this tester.

I am not sure if I am just doing it wrong, or if these sensors just don’t work well. The noise the FG-701 emits does not sound like breaking glass, but maybe that is not necessary. In one of its testing modes, you strike the glass with the palm of your hand to emit the low frequency sound and then the sensor follows that up with the high frequency sound from the speaker. The sensors have never tripped with this test or the one that just emits the high frequency sound by pressing the button on the tester.

Anyway, does anyone else have a FG-701? Does the “high frequency” noise actually sound like glass breaking? Does it set off these sensors?

Wondering if my tester is working correctly.

I was able to test mine by hitting the wall and shaking my keys immediately after. It took a bit to get the timing right, but it worked. I just added mine as a z-wave sensor. No special device type or anything.

1 Like

Stainless steel forks and spoons shaken in a plastic cup works too.

I finally got it working, taking one battery out and pressing the button did not work. Neither did taking taking both out and holding the button while putting one button in. Also, just pressing the button 5 times about once per second did not work either. What actually worked for me is to install the batteries in the sensor, have your app open looking for things, and then press the button on the front 5 times (rather quickly) and then when the green light comes on press and hold the button. Keep repeating this as it didn’t pick it up the first time for me but it did about the third time!

2 Likes

You can test it out by playing a breaking glass sound effects video on you tube, we tried it as a joke! I have no idea how sensitive this really is, but hey, it detected something and set off a trigger and alerted ST and Scout that an intrusion was detected. So glad to know that it at least works!

This worked perfectly, after nothing else worked. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for this @essidle. I just installed this (my first custom device type) going to test it tonight when i get home, but this is just what i was looking for.

I was able to test the code written by @essidle

Here is a YouTube link on how I tested it.

Basically just banging on the table while shaking some keys inside a glass. LOL, I was able to confirm that the code works and was able to trigger Smart Home Monitor. The red light on the detector will light up when it’s active. One of these day when I get locked out I will break one of my windows to test it, lol.

Edit: I was testing the heck out of it and the status somehow got stuck in OPEN. I then tried to remove it, but it wouldn’t remove. I had to go into the IDE and change the device type back to “Z-Wave Sensor”.

Then I added it back in, and it detected it as “Utilitech Glass Break Sensor” automatically. However, the battery status was blank, and the sensor wouldn’t work. I finally fixed it by switching the device type back to “Z-wave sensor”, press the button the detector until battery percentage shows, and then change the type back to “Utilitech Glass Break Sensor”.

If everyone still liking this sensor? Id like to buy some.

I happen to have about 20 sheets of glass that I need to get rid of after upgrading my windows.

I could buy a couple sensors and conduct some real glass breaking tests if it would benefit the group. Does anyone have anything specific for me to test?

Pressing the button 5 times unregisters the sensor with smartthings, so do that first. Then hold the button on solid green, after pressing 5 times, and it should pair.

Hello,

Does anyone know if this lowes device works with ST? If i buy one, do i need to do anything special?

I have three and they work. However loud music will trip them if in the same room.

I have 2 of these and trying to test them, but no luck so far. Anyone know if these actually alarm when glass breaks?