Utilitech Glass Break Detector (New DTH in post 90)

I’ve published the first version of the device type:

Add that as a ST device type and it will automatically detect newly paired sensors as Utilitech Glass Break sensors.

It’s still a work in progress, but the currently published version will report battery levels and report glass-break events as an open/close Contact Sensor.

I’m still testing and debugging; this device is definitely a strange one. It routinely fires triplicate events and sometimes just stops responding to the physical button altogether for a period of time. It has been reliable at reporting glass-break events however.

I left all of the debug logging in place. Let me know what kind of events you see (and their frequency). It will be interesting to see if they all behave as weirdly as mine.

Adam

10 Likes

Hello

May I ask here for a feedback on this Glass Break Detector in terms of resistance to False alarm, which is the most severe problem with this type of detectors ? Or probably I’m supposed to talk here only about connection issues ?

Thanks!

This Device acts has Capability “Giggle Sensor”?
:laughing:

1 Like

No - that can’t be right.

Surely its Capability LaughSensor with an enumerated value [chuckle, snigger, titter, giggle, chortle, laugh, guffaw, LMAO, ROFL]

3 Likes

I wish I could “like” this reply twice.

Adam

Can someone please restate how to do a factory reset on this Lowe’s glass break sensor? It sounded like “insert a battery while holding the button down,” but I still can’t get it to pair after that. The hub simply doesn’t find it.

I get that I have to do “Add new device” before putting the batteries in. I’ve tried that many time without success!

Thank you!

-Doug (ST newbie)

Can someone please help me to pair this sensor, now that I’ve spent $35 on it? Pairing doesn’t work by inserting one battery, then pressing the button - the light flashes as expected, but the hub never finds it although I’m right next to the hub.

This thread talks about doing a factory reset - how do I do that? It sounds like “insert a battery while holding the button down,” but I still can’t get it to pair after that.

Thank you for your suggestions!

-Doug

Same here… no luck with reset and pair the device. I got four detectors from Lowes, tried two of them. I end up return them to the store. And just FYI. I cannot find any z-wave information on the detectors I got, not on the detector, not on the case, not in the user manual. The only place says z-wave is from Lowes website. Compare to the Utilitech Water Sensor I got, it says z-wave right on the case. So, I do not think these Glass Break detector is z-wave device in general.

They are actually Z-wave. I picked up two from Lowes about 4 months ago. It took me about 40-50 minutes to get them to pair up. However they are only recognized as a z-wave sensor. Have no way of really testing that they work at this point. The issue with pairing is that they have to be reset initially. I took out both batteries and held down the button while inputting just one battery. Did this about 100 times and it finally reset and paired with ST hub.

hope you got it figured out. for me it never paired following the way it tells you after installing battery it says push the button. the green light lite but hub wouldn’t find it. I had to hit the button 3 times wait a sec and then hit button again hold it down a bit longer and wah la it paired

I installed the https://github.com/adamheinmiller/ST_UtilitechGlassBreak56 ST device, but I am unable to pair the device. I tried what I think is a factory reset and the pairing process described in the thread. Could someone post the process for a factory reset, because my device seems to be paired out of the box, and I am unsure if I am using the right process.

The current process I tried:

1. Install one battery into the device, and then press the main button.
  2. Install both batteries and press the tamper switch for 2 seconds for a factory reset

Could someone provide guidance as to next steps on what to do?

Thank you!!

For those still struggling to get these to work (and as a reminder for myself), you can reset these devices by leaving the batteries in and pressing the outside button 5 times, about one press per second. I had three that I couldn’t get paired and that fixed all of them.

3 Likes

BTW, after you do that, you are going to see blinking followed by a long blink before the light goes out. Wait until all the activity on the lights has stopped, then press the button once and it will start blinking a few times with a pause and then repeat. At that point, you can pair the device. It will only stay in that mode for maybe 15-30 seconds, so if it doesn’t pick up the first time, just press the button a single time to get it searching again.

2 Likes

I know that at one time the Utilitech Glass Break detector was being worked on by some in the community but I don’t think a device type was ever developed to work with ST. I really think this is a device that really goes well with the new app and the services model that ST is rolling out. Glass break detection is a key element in securing the home. I have two of these and tried to get them in ST and I can get ST to pick them up but only as a z-wave sensor. I cannot do anything with them in the app let alone know if they are working. This would be a very important integration. Anyone working on a device type for these?

That code does nothing that I can tell for a device type. I have used it but still have nothing more than a tile that says zwave sensor with no activity even with glass breakage. No way to test the item within the app to know that it works.

I was just hoping to use Shock Sensors with adjustable sensitivity (or SmartSense Multi).

Cheap shock sensors on Monoprice…

Does this help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HATP68

1 Like

It is not too difficult to test most real glassbreaks with practice, without special testers. Sometimes just jingling keys “works” but probably only for an old device - it may also just be indicating the device is listening but won’t alarm without the second factor. Most new devices require low frequency and simultaneous high frequency sound. So stomping your foot and making a loud “PSHEW” sound can put it in alarm.

It should also send a tamper signal when the cover is off.

I just set mine off with a big sneeze yesterday. Maybe the dishwasher or AC provided the low frequency component.

I’ve had three of these glass sensors for several months and recently decided I would test their effectiveness. I purchased the Honeywell FG-701 and have ran several tests with it. I have not been able to trip any of the three with this tester.

I am not sure if I am just doing it wrong, or if these sensors just don’t work well. The noise the FG-701 emits does not sound like breaking glass, but maybe that is not necessary. In one of its testing modes, you strike the glass with the palm of your hand to emit the low frequency sound and then the sensor follows that up with the high frequency sound from the speaker. The sensors have never tripped with this test or the one that just emits the high frequency sound by pressing the button on the tester.

Anyway, does anyone else have a FG-701? Does the “high frequency” noise actually sound like glass breaking? Does it set off these sensors?

Wondering if my tester is working correctly.

I was able to test mine by hitting the wall and shaking my keys immediately after. It took a bit to get the timing right, but it worked. I just added mine as a z-wave sensor. No special device type or anything.

1 Like