Using physical switch on a table lamp with a smart bulb?

Also, I wondering if this perhaps was a typo? I don’t understand why you would want to turn the switch off from the network when the person just turned the switch off physically. I just found that confusing.

If we take smart bulbs out of the equation because of the current inrush issue that we talked about earlier, and we just talk about a regular table lamp with a dumb bulb plugged into a smart outlet then there are some Z wave devices that implement the kind of “load sensing” that some Insteon and x10 outlets used to use, where you could physically manipulate the original switch on the table lamp and the network would respond.

Those were the ones that did the “turn off twice for on” method.

If you want that, you can have it. In some cases the newer devices don’t use that as a default parameter because it has turned out to be pretty confusing for consumers. But they may have it as a parameter that can be configured after purchase.

here’s a thread that discusses it in a SmartThings context. The short answer is that you just have to look for devices that say they support “load sensing.” Again, though, you don’t want to do that with smart bulbs. But if you want to do it with a table lamp that has a dumb bulb, you can. :sunglasses: