Using Homelink to trigger routines?

Has anyone had success using the home-link buttons found in there vehicle to trigger routines like I’m Home or Goodbye?
What would be a few options to do this? Could this be done using a device like a Liftmaster 850LM homelink receiver wired into a dry contact sensor? It would need to be some kind of device that monitors the momentary state of the device and then triggers a virtual switch that has activities tied to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I looked into using Homelink but the frequencies are not right to communicate with much. I have a garage door set up in ST and Homelink in both cars that I use for triggers (a ST sensor and a evolve relay) which works well but I was never able to figure out how to do anything direct from Homelink. I would love to have a way to control security system and ST. I have 3 unused Homelink buttons…

1 Like

The frequencies I don’t see being a problem as you can use a generic homelink receiver, I believe the problem is finding the right zwave hardware that can monitor the open close command (wire short) then treat it as a momentary button press to activate a virtual switch. I’m not very familiar with the dry contact sensors that are available. I understand them as monitoring open or closed. This would be a momentary change from off on then off. If a zwave dry contact sensor can do that, I believe it should work. After it detects the off/on/off state change you could use rule machine/core or even Alexa helper to program what you want to happen once it is detected.

The dry contacts in small battery operated sensors are useful for adding zwave capability to low-power situations like a pressure Mat.

If you want to wire something inline to a mains-powered device, the Mimolite is a popular option. For example, people will use this to report if a powered HVAC vent is open or closed.

http://www.fortrezz.com/index.php/products/mimolite

Here’s my Homelink receiver modified to use ZigBee. Source is on my github.

I have seen the WDHA-12 but it seemed there was not much information on how to make it work. It does seem like a cheaper option, as using a homelink receiver would require a dry contact sensor for each channel/scene. What is the reason to convert it to zigbee? How does it really function?

SmartThings doesn’t support the way it worked with Z-Wave. I’ve already made a few other ZigBee devices so I converted it to ZigBee.

The ZigBee board detects the short LED flash that occurs when the remote button is pressed. The DTH makes that available as a three button controller which works with various SmartApps.

Check this out: https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx36DPP4NPHTL5P/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B001HL3CS8

I tried to configure it with my buddy’s Vera to program the scenes, but I gave up. It seems like it should be possible, though.

Another option is having it control a light or something and then triggering SmartThings with the change in the light state.

Not sure if it could be connected to a dry contact sensor, maybe through an optocoupler.

I think I’m with you now. How involved is the zigbee conversion, is it still cost effective? I’m not quite sure how using a dedicated device off the homelink gateway would work, if you can’t connect a zwave device but to one network then how is smartthings suppose to poll it’s state. Unless you used an energy consumption meter in conjunction, even then I think that would be an off then on scenario instead of an off/on/off from the homelink gateway.

It’s a really interesting device but it isn’t going to work with smartthings for zwave.

The problem is that it requires controller replication to set up the scenes (and smartthings doesn’t do that). And it doesn’t support Association, which is how smart things works with the minimote and the Securifi key fob and other “button controllers.”

So it’s one of those zwave devices that will work with vera but won’t work with smartthings.

1 Like

Any new developments? I recently switched from Vera to SmartThings, and I’d like to get Homelink to talk to the SmartThings hub.

I looked into that Wayne Dalton device before, but it doesn’t seem like it is very compatible with SmartThings

Just got around to trying it but any generic home-link receiver wired into a dry contact like an Aeon Labs ZW097 will work. Just wire the 1&2 trigger wires of a home-link receiver into the dry contact sensor then use core to set what you want to happen when the circuit is closed. This is only good for one command like I’m home. If you want more commands then you will need multiple dry contact sensors and could select a multi channel home-link receiver.

For people that have a garage door, I wouldn’t recommend splicing into it because the dry contact sensor will not know the difference between open and close commands. Those that do have a garage door it seems like the easiest way would be to use a tilt sensor or window contact sensor to detect the state of the garage door and use that to trigger things through core.

2 Likes

I did exactly what Wooly suggested and made a thread with (overly) detailed instructions.

1 Like

I know this defeated the point but I just purchased a Sonoff RF keychain remote. I then programed it to one of the Sonoff RF to WiFi bridges. That way my four buttons could each set off a different trigger in the EWelink app, including turning on groups of lights. I noticed that it uses a 12v power supply @27A which was doable. I then proceeded to go down the path of least ressistance (and cheated). I just removed the hardware from the car with the exception of the button pads for the Homelink in my optima. I then canabiluzed the Sonoff remote and placed three of the four buttons above the factory pads using a small plastic strap to hold them in place. The forth is just stuck in there with no purpose. The remote only cost $5 though. I know it’s cheating but I got a good laugh out of it.