Uses for STANDBY Mode

I have a custom Location Mode called STANDBY. I have found it quite useful to provide an intuitive method to control STHM security status!

When in Standby location mode, STHM is in Disarmed security mode. Alexa gives me a natural voice method to disarm STHM.

I have a virtual switch called v-standby-sw, and an Alexa Group called Standby. I use Alexa to “Turn ON Standby”. I have a ST automation called “Standby Switch ON”, which disarms STHM, turns on Standby location mode, and provides lighting controls, when the switch is turned on.
Note: the term Standby avoids confusion with other keywords such as “Security” in Alexa which is interpreted to mean Alexa “Guarding” .

For example, if I want to watch a late movie past the magic hour when GoodNight runs, I turn on Standby. My “GoodNight @11:30” automation will not run if in Standby location mode. Or if there is an accidental Intrusion Alert (it happens), I can tell Alexa to turn on Standby. Or if my ST system misbehaves (it happens), I can tell Alexa to turn on Standby. Or if I am unsure of the current STHM status, I can turn on Standby. Or if my wife panics when I am away, she can turn on Standby. Or if family members have a problem, etc,etc.
I also have Alexa groups/virtual switches/automations for GoodMorning and GoodNight. When I turn on GoodNight using Alexa voice, ST GoodNight is run and Standby is cancelled. Similarily, when Alexa turns on GoodMorning, ST GoodMorning is run and Standby is cancelled.
By the way, I can also invoke Standby, GoodMorning, or GoodNight using buttons on my Minimote remote control device, next to my bed.

I have found this to be the best method to control STHM security status and avoid confusing/conflicting/complicated methods regarding how to Arm/Disarm STHM.

1 Like